Saturday, December 23, 2006

The 4-Day Christmas Weekend!

Yesterday I decided I was going to ride the Harley to work. The weather report showed a pretty good day for a change. I made sure everything was flowing smoothing and I could find all my riding gear (after all, it had been over a month since I had ridden last). I also had myself leaving for work about 10 minutes early to account for any "just in case" things that seem to happen when I ride the Harley. Yesterday was no exception. I had checked pretty much everything except the Harley itself.

It didn't start.

When it sits quite a while, you have to grind on it a little longer, alternating tries with choke on or off each time. By the time the engine started to burp and cough itself to life, the battery was dead. I sighed and pushed it back into the garage. See, that's why I always have to start earlier when I ride the Harley. You just never know.

The day at work was pretty good. I did my usual press operation, and as usual on my last day before Christmas, I wore my Santa hat all day. I also had on my Harley t-shirt with the Santa on it. Elaine wore her lighted reindeer antlers that she wears ever year as well. We were the only two with Christmas spirit as usual. Our employee Christmas gift this year was a Fletcher's Black Forest ham. I liked that. I was hoping we wouldn't get a tin of cookies like we have a few times in the past. We got a spiral cut ham last year, and I was hoping it would be that good this time. Close enough. A ham to a single guy is a good thing!

My down comforter showed up yesterday. That was the one I ordered from Amazon a while back. I guess it was good that I didn't ride the Harley after all eh? It wouldn't have mattered--I just would have left it to take home the next time I drove the car to work. I tried it out last night. It's a pretty nice comforter--Well made, comfortable and soft--But not overly warm. I guess that's okay... It never gets really cold to need an ass-kicking comforter, and this way I can use it longer throughout the year. I did sort of expect a little more warmth though. It doesn't seem any warmer than the cheapie 95% feather/5% down one that I already had, but it's a lot nicer and better made. Now I have one for each bed.

Thursday I got the jacket for Sarah that I ordered from Nordstrom's that I wrote about. The one they sent via overnight shipping. I didn't take it out of the package, but it sure looks the same as the one I bought in the store... That whole thing was a weird experience. I guess I'll just wrap one of them and then bring the other one out when she opens it, explaining that she gets to choose.

I hit a couple of stores on the way home from work last night, looking for nothing in particular, and found (yes, you guessed it) nothing in particular. I did manage to come out well when I stopped for beer though. I bought a new one to try called Blue Moon, and I loved it! I may have to push that to the top of my favorites list. I also bought a half case of Foster's lager. That's that Australian beer than usually comes in the giant cans like motor oil used to.

I went out last night at about 8 and bought my parents a copy of the first season of My Name is Earl. I know they'll like the humor, but I don't think they've ever seen the show. Each time I ever mentioned it, they said they didn't see it because they watched the John Ratzenberger show, "Made in America" instead.

Well, what's going to happen this weekend remains to be seen really. I've got a lot to do, but I want to have fun too. I think I want Sarah in on as much as possible. I think I'll see if we can do the gingerbread house kit this afternoon. Maybe a pizza too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have a very happy, merry Christmas, Rick!