Wednesday, December 10, 2008

It Sure Is Quiet In Here

I bought my computer a new power supply the other day. The old one had a fan in it that I'm sure was co-manufactured by Pratt & Whitney. It sounded like something you'd hear around an airport. It was loud.

I didn't stop there though--I also bought a new hard drive.

I guess I need to back up a bit. I'm used to having two hard drives in my computer. Besides the obvious reason of more storage, it affords me a way to occasionally reload my whole computer. I can rotate my previously "primary" drive into the secondary slot, and then wipe and reload the "new" primary one. Through time and processes, computers get bogged down and end up running slower, starting slower, or having some sort of issues with programs. That was where mine was. Trouble is, my old "redundancy" drive had died a year or two back, so I was operating on only one. That's the real reason I went to the computer store.

After having lots of problems the first night getting the two drives to peacefully coexist, I finally was able to make it happen and they both talk to each other and play nicely together. Now I get to do the fun part of the job: Reinstalling all my software (yes, I do think it's fun--I'm a geek, remember?). The good thing about doing it this way is that all my old data is still there. All I have to do is reinstall the software and move my personal data over from the previous drive. Fun and geeky no?

The weird thing is my perception when I walk into the room. It's quiet. Real quiet. There have been two times so far that when I walked into the room I thought the computer had actually stopped.

Ahh... Whispering... Peace and quiet.

No comments: