Wednesday, April 08, 2009

The Decline of the "Service" Industry


Sue probably thinks I won't blog it, but what the hell. Like I told her last night: Sometimes my mood changes enough to warrant me abandoning a notion that sticks in my craw for whatever reason. These notions are things that I call "Blog Fodder". The downside is that because it's now a different day, I'm not spewing the same anger and frustration that it was during the events that I've noted below.

Suzie came over during late afternoon for a prearranged meeting with our wedding officiants (quite a character and worthy of a blog itself, but that's for another day). Due to the time (and me not making dinner) we decided to go out for some grub.

We decided to stop into Jack's Tavern for a burger and a glass of Hefeweizen. Apparently, the service industry has taken a hit along with many other businesses of late. At Jack's Tavern there appears to be no service. Granted--Their service has never been stellar (it's a bar after all). Last night we both ambled in and sat down, pretty much in the middle of the place. It wasn't busy or packed, and we were plainly visible. Their menu is printed on the wall, and although it's in fairly big letters, it's not all that easy to see for older folks like us (okay, me). It's especially so in a dimly lit bar atmosphere. So, we're there at Jack's for a couple minutes... Staring at the menu, then we get up and walk over to the menu and stand there staring at it for a little while. We went back to our seats and waited. Then we waited. Then we waited some more. I started mumbling remarks about their service and decided that 10 or 15 minutes worth of waiting was apparently my limit. "Let's try the Sports Page instead," I said. We got up and left, still apparently no closer to being served than when we arrived. I guess the only way to get service there now is to pour it and cook it yourself.

The Sports Page is only a few blocks away. We walked in and picked a table near a window, only about 20 feet from the bar. It was cold. I don't know if it was where we were sitting, but it wasn't comfortable. As we sat there freezing, the same feeling came over me: The feeling that it was not to be. We didn't stay there as long as we did at Jack's Tavern, but it was apparent that nobody at that time of day in either of those bars thought our money was worthy of their attention. I decided "piss on 'em" and told Suzie, "Let's go to The Pit."

Again, we got up and left.

The Pit is a fairly recent place in Auburn. When the eatery was first built it was called Henry's or something like that. Anyway, it's right next door to Auburn's newly build train station. I guess it was karma that we had stopped into two "dives" only to be rebuffed, because this place was what we needed. Greeted instantly at the door by a smiling waitress, we were seated at a nice, cozy window spot in a comfortable circular booth thing. Although our first choice of drink was out of stock (apparently everybody loves Hefeweizen), our second choice was just fine. Ditto with the burgers and fries. The Baja burger tasted fantastic, but in my opinion needed much more of all of its condiments (salsa, guacomole, etc). It just needed a bit more "slop" to it.

One thing worth noting: When we walk into Jack's Tavern we don't instantly go for a certain seat or place. It's more of an "I guess this will do" thing. It's a series of tall round tables with bar stools in some areas and long, folding cafeteria tables in the main area. We settle--Simple as that. It's pretty much the same thing at The Sports Page. It's a little bit better quality seating, but again--Nothing feels right. What do I want to feel when I walk into a bar or restaurant? I want the, "Oooo, I wanna sit here!" feeling to hit me. Both of those places have nothing in that regard. Zero. Last week when we were in Jimmie Mac's Roadhouse for the first time I said to Suzie when we first walked in, "I hope they sit us over there" and motioned to a particular spot that looked good. Guess what? The waitress took us right to it! That's what I want--A feeling that you want to spend time in a place.

I guess it was meant to be. Jack's Tavern? Crossed off my list. The Sports Page? Ditto. Although it spanks of something my old man would say, I don't feel like they deserve our business any more.

You would think in these times of monetary uncertainty that businesses would do whatever they could to separate someone from their hard earned money.

I guess not.

1 comment:

Sue Z Q said...

What?!? No more Jack's? Well, alright, if you insist.