Thursday, April 02, 2009

Things That Piss Me Off


Every now and then things just jump out at me and make me turn my head slightly and wince. Things that--For whatever reason--I don't notice much at first, but when it happens a second time or even more often make me cringe.
I wish I had the memory that makes me remember things easily, but I just have to hope I can recall them. Here are a couple things that I can recall that anger me.

  • AM Radio announcers - I don't have a problem with most announcers really. I just can't stand the way announcers pronounce certain words. The way they turn the word "quality" into something more closely resembling "qualuddy". You know what I'm talking about. They strive for the words that enhance that "radio sound" when they speak. It's ironic really because I love to talk in a radio voice myself when I'm feeling in the mood. Maybe I'm jealous... No, I just can't stand hearing them say "qualuddy". I guess that's the price you pay if you want to listen to news on the AM dial.

  • Pill bottles - Okay, this one is kind of twofold. First of all, I don't like child-proof caps on pills, but I've come to grips (excuse the pun) with that: I just wrench the entire outer cap off as soon as I get a new bottle from the druggist. What I'm talking about is the shape of the pill bottles. Why do they have to make pill bottles with a bell-mouth end? Sure, some pill bottles are the same width from bottom to top, but all the smaller ones have an opening at the end, that--Coupled with the shape--Makes it practically impossible to shake out only one or two pills. You also can't reach into them with a finger to "slide" one out because they catch on the shoulder of the pill bottle. There is one company that I've seen that makes pill bottles that are tapered to the opening. That's the way they should all be.

  • Traffic light sensors - Don't get me wrong--I generally like traffic sensors. They have shortened light wait-times quite a bit from the pre-programmed cycle times of yesteryear. My rant involves the intersections with practically instant traffic signal triggering capability from the right lane. I don't know about everywhere else, but here in Washington we can make a free right turn after stopping. We certainly don't need a vehicle sensor in that lane that triggers the light and stops traffic in the main flow just so someone can make a turn they were going to make anyway.

  • Store employees - You know as well as I do that we need store employees. Most of them are pretty able people and do their job well, but there are others and those are the ones I'm talking about. Sometimes I'm scanning a particular area in a retail store for something. I might see the area where something should be, but can't find any of what I'm looking for. I go find an employee and ask nicely if they have any of whatever it is that I'm looking for. What do they do? They walk over to where I was, scan the hooks or shelves carefully, and say, "If we did it would be right here." Wow, thank you for that--I guess you noticed my red-tipped, white cane, eh?

1 comment:

Rhon said...

I always love a good rant.