Sunday, November 05, 2006

Deals and Downloads


A few days ago I went to renew my prescription, expecting to get hit with the usual $20 copay for only one month's worth of drugs. As my readers may or may not recall, I got away with a 3 month supply last time do to a snafu on their part, and I was feeling good about that. Well, I didn't get that this time. I did, however, get a little bit of a reprieve: Now they're allowing people in my insurance plan to get a 30-count bottle of 1000 milligram pills instead of the usual 500 milligram pills, and are also furnishing us (we poor nameless insured masses) with a free pill cutter. The trouble was that my pills were so big they didn't fit into it and I had to modify it. But I have to say, after I "adjusted" it, it made short and easy work of cutting 30 pills in half. Whatever... 60 days for the price of 30 is fine by me.

Yesterday I was out and about with my loss-leader shopping list, and ended up at Fred Meyer. They had a store brand of blank DVDs on sale at $12.99 for a 50-pack, and were 30% off that for clearance. $9 for a 50-pack of blank DVDs is pretty good. I bought 3 of em. I probably should have bought more, but they might still be there in a week or two. They've been there quite a while up to this point.

That actually leads directly into this next part of my blog entry. Yesterday morning I re-enabled my newsgroup subscription. I know none of you know what newsgroups are, but think of it like an electronic bulletin board, only instead of just notes and text, people can actually post whole files such as programs, music, and movies, and if you have the right software you can snag em for free. Although Comcast does give its subscribers newsgroup access, they limit us to only 2 gigs per month. To put it into perspective, one DVD movie download is over 4 gigs, so as you can see, the "included" Comcast service is only good for little things. The service I have (13 bucks a month) allows for unlimited and anonymous downloads. I used to have it over at the other house, but let it lapse at the beginning of summer because I was spending so much time outdoors. Since I started the service yesterday morning, I've already downloaded six movies and a program. My dad was plenty surprised today when I took him a copy of Cars and he told me it isn't even out yet until this Tuesday. He was pretty happy to say the least. I think I'll be able to pretty much stop my library copying now... There are so many movies to pick from online it's ridiculous. It's a good thing for winter months too.

I was just out doing a little shopping at Walmart and Fred Meyer. I went to Walmart for a couple lampshades, but I also ended up buying 4 screw-in black light bulbs. They were on Halloween clearance for only 50 cents each. I might play with them every now and then. They might make a pretty cool porch light! I ended up buying a nice little hunk o' roast beef for the crock pot at Fred Meyer. I'll use my timer and have the crock pot do the work for me one of these days while I'm at work. I love coming home to the smell of dinner cooking.

Well, I guess I'll go and put a potato in the oven. I'm hungry and can't wait for dinner. I'm going to put a chicken breast into the good ol' George Foreman grill, seasoned liberally of course. Yum.

No comments: