Monday, November 13, 2006

Good Friends Make Good Times


How many people do you know that show up at your door with thick, marinaded New York steaks and all the fixings? Well that's what Rhon did! Having the fortune of being off work on Friday, she showed up here about an hour after I got home from work. I expected her of course, and looked forward to her visit all day at work on Friday. It's always good to give a bachelor a good warning you know--We almost always have some sort of thing that needs to be cleaned or hidden...

A few days earlier I scored a hot deal on a small Weber charcoal grill. It's the same as their full size kettle, but it's only 18" diameter instead of 22.5". This one is like new, and it came with a cover and an assortment of grill utensils... All for only $5. That's right--Five bucks. To top it off, it was only over in the next town, so I was there and back in just over a half hour. I hoped to use it to cook the steaks I knew Rhon was bringing, so I got charcoal, but the weather screwed us over on that deal. We ended up doing the indoor method on the George Foreman grill (everybody should have one).

We spent the whole weekend doing fun, lazy things. After all--The weather outside was totally bad. It rained buckets for most of the weekend. We really enjoyed the warmth of the wood stove. That, coupled with my assortment of movies made for a great weekend. Oh, and alcohol too... Had to have that! We did go out to a couple stores too, so it's not like we just stayed shut in and just enjoyed each other's company.

I'm getting low enough on wood now that it's almost time for me to cut another pile of my "special" pallet boards up at work. I have them all stacked and ready for me.

I got my electric bill today, and because I've done nothing but burn the wood stove, my power bill is only 51 dollars. Not too bad at all. I remember last winter when I moved in here I paid about $175. Hey, I like comfort, and even if all I have is baseboard heat, I'm still going to be comfortable. That's life.

Today was a good day at work. Everything went smoothly and quickly. I took the whole bag of my Halloween candy to work with me this morning. Elaine has a candy dish that she has in her work area, and I put the whole bag on her desk for her to find when she came in. That was over 100 mini candy bars, so that should keep her from having to buy anything for the dish for quite a while. I'm just happy I got em out of here...

I was pretty pissed this morning when I got up. I slept fantastic, so it wasn't that--It was the fact that the wind was blowing like hell, and it was garbage day. This is also the bi-weekly day for them to pick up my recyclables as well. There was no way I was going to put my bin out there in that weather though. By the time I would have gotten home from work it would have been nowhere to be seen. I have lots of garbage space because I have a large sized can (I don't always put it out every week anyway), but it means that I will have to wait another two weeks before I can get my recycling bin emptied, and it fills up quickly.

After I picked Sarah up at school today, we went to the library and to a grocery store. When we got back to her house, I disassembled a desk thing that was in the computer room. It originally had my old server computer on it, but that hadn't been used since right after I moved out, so I threw it in the car trunk. Teresa wasn't home, but they had be rearranging the computer room this weekend and she wanted the desk out of there. It's butt-ugly, so I'm not sure what she's going to do with it, so I put it out on the covered deck out back. I would bet that it will still be there in spring.

Well, I guess I'll wander downstairs for something to eat.

1 comment:

Rhon said...

You are so right, it was a great weekend and I thank you for being such gracious host. Hugs ...Rhon