Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Engulfed by Gloom


I was in a foul mood today. Dark, angry, fed up, and wanting to chuck it all out the window. It was one of those days when people can see it because you wear it like a crown of thorns. I was all at once sick of my car, my Harley, my truck, my job, my hair... You name it, I was pissed at it.


So, here's the majority of the things that drove me into the mental mud today:

Mandatory overtime - Okay, everyone knows I hate overtime. Hate, hate, hate. Because I didn't feel like pushing the issue this time, I said I'd work their mandatory 10 hours days this week. Apparently, I'm one of only a few guys there that can do silver-soldering (a form of brazing/welding). There was a certain product that we were overdue shipping and they needed me to do them. I finished them all by 4 o'clock. I planned on staying until 4:30, but there just wasn't that much else to do. Imagine my surprise when the parts I "hurried up and finished" were still sitting there untouched. When it came 2:30 today, I bailed. Whether I feel like working overtime tomorrow or not I'll decide when the time comes.

The leaky car - Everyone that has been keeping up on the latest and greatest knows I have a leaky car. You also know I put a new heater core in it, which was no easy task. You also know that it didn't fix the whole problem and it leaked again when I drove it shortly after a rainstorm. You may not know, however, that I spent some time out working on it a couple weekends ago, and did some re-sealing work on it. It involved removing the front fender and lots of associated parts. Did it fix it? No. It rained a couple nights ago, and when I drove to work the next morning it dumped all over the floor once again.

The truck that only starts when it wants to - My truck pisses me off so bad I just sneer at it when I walk by. I think it's starting to resent me now because when it only appears to start when I was only testing it--When I wasn't really going to drive anywhere anyway. In addition, when it starts during these times, it starts instantly.

The missing website - I clicked my website button yesterday and was greeted by this nice message of doom:

The page you're accessing no longer exists or you mistyped the URL.

Now isn't that a nice surprise? I tried to access it through my web software and through their website, and still: Nothing. It doesn't even recognize me as a user. Now wouldn't that give you a warm feeling? It's not like I will lose my files because I have them all here. Actually, I really haven't lost my website totally either, because like any good geek, I have a backup website with all the files all ready to go. There is talk on their support forum that it is a hardware problem at a "node" in their system that my website resides on, and it will be back up eventually. Whatever... It wouldn't be the first time I had to pack up and move on...

Harley shocks - My new Harley shocks that made it ride like shit when I first put them on? I had nothing but trouble trying to adjust them. It's made even harder by how it's designed and how close to the ground they are. What I'm trying to say is, even under optimum conditions adjusting them is a bitch. Let alone having them not want to adjust and bind up when I tried turning them. I ended up taking them each in and out twice. I rode it today and it's a major improvement, but I still need to tweak it more.

Those are just some of the highlights of my Wednesday mental state. There were also lots of other little things like having the high speed press go down today too, and upon removing the die and dissecting it, finding part of it shattered. I tried to busy myself as much as I could to keep my mind off things, but I know I was plodding along all day with a whipped look on my face. When 2:30 came, I left. Screw it.

Maybe tomorrow will be a better one.

1 comment:

Rhon said...

I sure hope your next few days go a lot better....