Monday, September 17, 2007

The Weekend Report


It wasn't a bad weekend--I had one productive day and one non-productive day.

Saturday morning, I went over to Teresa's house to do a little work in the garage that I had been meaning to do. The steel racks that I had made (see them here, down at the fourth project) a few years back to hold all my long raw materials were hampering Sarah's usage of that garage stall. In effect it created a lot of potential problems by narrowing the width of the stall. Anyway, during my morning coffee I ended up chatting a bit with Steve, who said he was going to be out on the bike that morning. I told him my plans over at T's house. Before I left I also emailed my friend Greg to tell him my plans, knowing that he would want some of the steel I was removing from their garage.

When I got there at 10:15, Steve and Greg were both there already. Steve was there on his Harley, just to hang out and to have a riding destination. Greg was there to help and to take home all the steel I no longer wanted. He loves fabricating stuff and has the tools and knowledge to do so. We ended up emptying all the racks, putting the good steel in Greg's truck, and the scrap crap into my truck. Then we removed all the racks and cut them in half. I took the upper halves home with me, but we bolted the lower halves back up on the wall. The difference being that we bolted them up way higher than they were, so we opened the whole wall up so there is nothing in the way of a car any more. We put the "half-sized" racks back up there because there were some long pieces of wood and trim of Teresa's that needed to be stored. By the time we were done there were two levels of shelving instead of four, and they were much higher up.

During the course of our working there, Edie next door came over and discussed my helping her pick up a stainless steel BBQ that she had bought at Sam's Club. After I did all the project in the garage, I wanted to get to the recycler in the next town to unload all the scrap I had, but instead decided to get to Sam's Club to pick up Edie's purchase before her husband got home. It was sort of a surprise for him I guess, and she had been waiting for months for them to go on sale. I went home and unloaded all the crap into my garage and went over and picked up her new purchase. That thing was HUGE! It filled the whole back of my truck right to the tailgate. It's all nice stainless steel, and let me tell you--It's no BBQ, it's an outdoor kitchen! Although it was lifted into the truck by four employees, we managed to get it out without too much trouble with 3 of us at Edie's house.

After all that transpired, I reloaded the scrap back into my truck and took it to the recycler in the next town. I still wasn't finished though. I then came back to Teresa's house to fix a leaky faucet in one of the bathrooms. It was an easy fix fortunately. I took it apart and we both drove over to Lowe's to get the repair parts. It cost a whopping $1.51.

It was a very busy day, but a very productive day. Oh, I also forgot to mention that Edie gave me a 24-pack of Corona beer for helping her. Nice!

Sunday was almost the exact opposite of Saturday. I didn't do shit. I did manage to get out and get a haircut and do a little shopping and all before 10 o'clock. My timing was perfect because nobody in town was really out and about yet. I was back home and back to my usual nude self for the rest of the day. It was a good day for it too because the weather got steadily worse as the day progressed. I was nice and cozy while it rained outside.

Addendum: Teresa told me on the phone last night that Edie's husband came home and found that she had bought a natural gas outdoor kitchen instead of a propane one, so they had to go exchange it anyway. Oh well, at least I earned a case of beer out of the deal for my trouble!

No comments: