Saturday, August 16, 2008

I Was Stunned


I came home from work yesterday and knew Suzie had been here. I parked the bike and went in through the garage, and the first thing I noticed was the fact that the vertical blinds at the dining room sliding door were closed.

Then I noticed the dishes were done. Then I noticed the floor had been vacuumed. As I went upstairs it continued. The whole house had been vacuumed! I sat down and turned on the computer, noting the bed looked freshly made as well. After I checked my email and stuff I went into the bathroom to pee. The toilet was clean! I looked around dumbfounded, noting the counter and sink also had been cleaned. I went downstairs to go back out to the garage to putter, and looked around as I went. There were signs of her everywhere. I stopped at the small bathroom on the way out. Yep, the cleaning fairy had been there too. She had even crushed the cans I had lined up in front of the recycle bin in the garage and tossed them in.

I was (and am still) amazed. She had already surprised me with a visit at work yesterday for lunch outside. She was babysitting her oldest grandson, Joe, and brought him along too. It was quite a surprise. Little did I know what awaited me when I got home later! As we sat and talked last night she noted that I had said that I "hadn't been able to get anything done" around the house that I had wanted to do this last week because I was spending my time with her doing stuff. Much of "that stuff" was repairing her new hot tub, but in all fairness, I could have squeezed all of that stuff in--It's just that one thing led to another and I just didn't.

As I sit here in semi-darkness, typing to the sound of her gentle snoring in bed nearby, I cant help but think: This is quite a woman.

It could be why, for whatever reason, I was into poetry mode while I was at work yesterday. We have always said that we have a strange sort of connection with each other. I guess we were on each others' minds pretty strongly yesterday. Here's what I wrote but it's not much yet:

A woman named Sue, it appeared
had a lifestyle she greatly revered.
Then everything changed;
her life rearranged;
when her heart was so suddenly speared.

Cupid's arrow flew swiftly and true,
where it came from she hadn't a clue.
Feelings largely unused
from being battered and bruised
resurfaced, all shiny and new.


I have these poetic times here and there, but I don't always have to ability to jot them down. Sometimes I never get a chance to concentrate long enough to come up with what I am feeling at the time.

We took a quick ride on the Harley before we settled down and reheated some of my homemade chicken enchiladas. We just took a little ride along the Green River to Kent and back to see if we could smell the aroma of ripening blackberries yet. I had smelled them on the way home from work, but at that time the sun was high overhead, cooking the berries and releasing their scent to waft and mingle with the smells of the river and underbrush. I love that smell! After we ate we were struck by the sunset and hurriedly tossed my camera into the car and sped up the hill to the Auburn Cemetery where there is a little park overlook. On the way up we noticed the full moon also coming up at the same time. The photo session was horrible due to the mosquitoes. In the few minutes we were there I was eaten alive. The sunset never proved to be very good as far as lighting up Mt. Rainier because it was somewhat hazy over that direction, but the moon looked pretty cool. Here's a sample of what we got:



Looks like another hot day today. We're going to be finalizing the hot tub today. All we have left to do on it is put the newly-reconstructed sides back on it and lay it back down. Her son-in-law Tony (every family wishes it had an electrician like Tony!) is wiring it all up for her. Although it's definitely not hot tub weather, it will be very cool to have it done and operational!

No comments: