Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Changing Things


This is a blog of a few changes that have come about in the last couple of days.

First of all, there's a new change this morning: I switched from my summer weight flannel bathrobe to my heavier terry robe. It was finally time to face facts and admit that I was freezing my balls off when I got up in the morning these last several days. No more nudie man making his lunchtime sandwich in the morning while the coffee brewed. It's time for coverage!

Yesterday I rode the Harley to work. I knew the instant I walked out the door of the garage that it was "different" out there. I traded my standard short riding gloves to my gauntlet style gloves that cover my sleeves. I also pulled out my "head sock" to wear under my helmet. It was time I had something covering my ears. I was glad of both of those changes. It was evident as I sped down Auburn Way that it was considerably colder. The first bank I rode past said 40° on it. Brr!

Yesterday was also the first day I rode the Harley with its brand new seat on it. To tell you the truth, I was a little disappointed. I really hate it when I buy something that I don't like 100%. It's even worse when you do research after research and finally make your selection and it turns out to not be quite what you hoped it was. To add to that, it was over $350. What don't I like about it? It sits me higher up on the bike, and also seems to put me slightly farther forward as well. The design of it has the front of the passenger seat providing "additional back support" to the driver, and that may be part of the problem. I'm a sloucher, and it's trying to help me not slouch. But hey, slouching is me--Especially on the Harley. I was a little more forgiving on the way home from work though, vowing to give it some time to break in. After all, this brand of seat didn't get to be #1 by having everyone unhappy with their purchase did it?

The biggest change to report is a change of mind. Suzie and I are going to drop the house idea I touted in yesterday's blog. While the notion of buying is very appetizing, it would be a bad idea for us financially. While each of us has assets and credit, only one of us is employed. Even if mortgage lenders did approve us, we would be stretched pretty thin and wouldn't have capital to work with afterward. I thought quite a bit about it yesterday, and had pretty much changed my mind already, but hadn't given up on the idea completely. Two of Suzie's kids dropped in for dinner last night, and they proceeded to pretty much talk us out of it the rest of the way. I said afterward it was like an intervention. She's very lucky to have a family that is that passionate about her well-being. I don't have that in my family.

I'm going to put the truck up for sale. I'm at the end of my rope with it. I've already formulated the ad to put it on Craigslist and I'll snap a couple of pictures of it tonight after work. I'm going to open with the fact that it doesn't start and I don't know what it is and I'm tired of putzing with it, yada, yada, yada. I've listed all it's features and new parts and stuff already. It would be a great truck for somebody--Especially if they get it going by winter and can enjoy 4-wheeling with it. I used to love that aspect of it. I'm going to ask $2000 for it and see what happens. It might be a $5 fix for a knowledgeable person. I'm apparently not that person. I know when to finally admit defeat... It just takes me longer than some people.

Get it out of here--It's time for a change!

No comments: