Monday, September 29, 2008

A Whirlwind Weekend


It actually started on Thursday.

This was a touchy thing really: What do you do when your first (yes, very first) girlfriend is in town? Well, to tell you the truth, I was a little apprehensive. On one hand I'm head over heels in love with Suzie, but on the other hand, she was my high school sweetheart and I was curious. Although we had talked on the phone a couple times late last year, I hadn't seen her for at least 25 years. She currently lives in South Dakota but her brother was my best friend in high school, so he was really our common link in this area and how she was able to still know how to find me. Suzie was none too thrilled about her being in town let alone me actually seeing her, but she reluctantly agreed to let it be. At any rate, we agreed to meet on Thursday night. It went well. We just went out to a local restaurant and sat and yakked and yakked. At no time did anyone toss "sparks" or feel uncomfortable. Suzie sent me a couple of text messages to keep me grounded just in case I started drifting--I loved that. When I took her back to where she was staying (right here in town at her girlfriend's house) at about 8:30 it seemed like about the right time to cut it off. I was tired.

The big news is that I did what I stated I was going to do in my previous blog post: I put my truck up for sale. I got 3 replies right off the bat. The first one turned out to be the classic "I'll take the truck and send you a cashiers check if you'll ship it" scheme that seems to be so prevalent these days. The second guy was genuine and was close by up in Covington. He sped down on Thursday night and scoped it out, mostly concerned with the undercarriage. Of course the truck refused to start, which was exactly what I told him it would probably do. Anyway, he loved what he saw and he agreed to buy the truck. After negotiating back and forth a bit, we agreed on a price of $1900. He was so happy! "I started looking for this truck in June," he stated, "There are just none out there that haven't been beat to death."

The next day (Friday) I had just gotten home and had a beer and checked my email when he showed up with his trailer. Fortunately it started this time and he was able to drive it onto his trailer instead of winching it up. Bye-bye truck!


Suzie came over right after he left, and she still parked in the usual spot, which would have been right behind the truck.
"How come you didn't park up closer to the house where the truck used to live?" I asked.
"I dunno... It seemed weird."
It does seem weird. That truck has lived and leaked in that spot since the day I moved in.

A little later in the evening the doorbell rang. I had totally forgotten about the fact that a guy was going to show up and buy my old slide scanner too. It was good that we were still there, because it seems like we were thinking about going somewhere for something--I don't remember. Anyway, he bought that so that was another item crossed off my list.

Two sales in one day--Not too bad!

The rest of the weekend? The Anacortes Oyster Run! That will have to wait until the next post. I'm outta time.

2 comments:

Sue Z Q said...

Hey, I get to blog the Oyster run first! Creative juices are flowing as we speak - teehee!

Anonymous said...

You did go!!..Well, dang, ok, I see how ya are!! What a mess, huh? Wow, wall to wall people! We (cagey, and magister from BW) got in and got out.
Hope ya had fun!?, what a beautiful day!
Deb