Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sometimes Things "Click"

...And sometimes they don't.

This is the time of year that Sarah plays tennis after school. This is also the time of year that weather is at its most unpredictable. I got a text from her before I left work: NO TENNIS. That was no surprise--After all, it was pouring rain. Right afterward I called home to check my land-line phone messages. As I thought, there was a message from the local Red Wing shoe store I stopped a few days ago saying that my new boots were in. After work I stopped off and picked them up. I mentioned to the guy there that I needed to figure out where I could get my old ones fixed, and pointed to the area on one of them where the stitching was coming undone.
"Leave em here and we'll have them stitched up for you--No charge." he said.
Cool! To add to that, the gal that rang up my purchase took 15% off because they didn't have my size in stock when I stopped by there two days prior and placed the order. I left my old ones in their hands and wore my new shoes out. That part "clicked" pretty well I'd say.

After I got home I immediately started working in my garage. I had all those pieces of steel that I had cut up at Suzie's house last weekend and I needed to do some more work on them. Time ran away from me. Before long it was 6:30. I was finished and still no Suzie. "Hmm," I thought, "I wonder if I screwed up again." I was in the process of dialing her number when I got a text from her on my cell: "Are you alive?" she wondered. Well, it turns out that I did indeed screw up. I was supposed to tell her if there was tennis or not and neglected to do so. Bad Rick... Baaaddd... I called her and we talked a bit. She had already decided she wasn't coming down by that time. Obviously that part didn't "click." The part that did was that I got all the pieces all drilled up and ready for assembly (welding). Still, I would have rather have gotten to see her.

We were out at a local sports bar several weeks ago eating dinner and we were handed 5 tickets by the waitress. She said, "We're having a drawing on March 25th at 7:30, so hang on to these--They might be worth $1,000. You need to be present for the drawing." Well, tonight was that drawing and we were going to go down there and see if we won. You never know right? Well, that part didn't click. I decided I would go ahead and go down myself just to witness the drawing. By that time it was 7:20. I was just about to leave and I was getting my stuff together when the phone rang.

It was my brother, Don, calling from Georgia, congratulating me and Suz on our engagement. He and his wife totally loved Suzie's work on the invitation. All the time Don and I were talking I kept hearing her holler in the background, "I want to know about his girlfriend." I gave Don the link to my blog so he might have a chance at staying in touch with things around here. Neither of us are any good at calling each other. After all, I never even called him to tell him I was getting married... How's that for brotherly love? Oh well... At least I was home to take his call. That part definitely clicked.

As to the $1,000 drawing? Hell, I never would have won anyway...

1 comment:

Sue Z Q said...

I was gonna ask if you ever called Don - bad Ricky, baaaad.