Saturday, December 01, 2007

So Many Things Look Alien


This has popped into my mind several times over the years. I know it's happened to everyone--When you look at something and it seems so... Weird?

So unusual? So out-of-place? So odd? So alien?

  • One of the first things I can remember making this association with was when I was shopping in a grocery store. It happens when you are at the checkout counter and you're watching what the person ahead of you is putting up on the conveyor belt. Look at all of that stuff... Chances are if you're like me you'll look at it and agree--Everything they are buying is so weird! You think to yourself:

    "Oh my god, look at that weird shit... I would never eat that."
    "Wow, I don't know what they're going to do with something like that."
    "That is such a shitty tasting brand--I would never buy that."

    And it goes on and on. Try it... Next time you're in a grocery store do a casual glance in everyones shopping cart as you pass by. I'll bet there won't hardly be a single thing in their cart that doesn't look alien to you for one reason or another.

  • Another thing that looks alien to me, believe it or not, are people's nails. Yeah I know... I'm weird, but so are everyones fingernails and toenails! No matter how many you look at, they all look so... Different. Size, shape, whatever. They all look alien.

    I don't know why I don't feel that way about any other features of a person's body. After all, no two are alike, but for some reason, nails have always caught my eye when they look different than mine.

    I'm sure other oddballs like myself feel the same way about my nails as I do about theirs. Especially my right thumbnail. Hell, that one even looks alien to me...

  • Don't even get me started on vehicles. This falls into two categories: Weird that a particular style even sprung from the drawing board to begin with, and weird that someone would actually shell out their money to buy one at the risk of being seen driving it.

    Understand, these two things are not always the same either. Some weird vehicles look totally right with the proper variety of oddball inside them. Sometimes the a vehicle looks so alien it would look weird with anyone in it. As far as people go, there are some of them that... Well, no matter what they drive it would be hopeless. They look alien in anything.

You can just go on and on with this sort of topic. Everyone is weird. Everyone is unique. Everyone eats weird shit, does weird shit, owns weird shit, and says weird shit.

Yeah, when you compare us... We are all so... Alien

1 comment:

Rhon said...

What a fun post. Way to go.