Monday, December 10, 2007

What a Busy Week!


I haven't made a blog post in what feels like ages, and there are so many things to write about I don't know where to begin.

I'm still not doing well with my Christmas shopping. I feel very, very nervous about that. Time is too short and it's getting shorter. Add to that the fact that I need to get one (that I don't have yet) in the mail to make it to Los Angeles before Christmas and still need to get my Christmas cards out. I hate this feeling, but it's all too familiar. If I knew what I was going to buy everyone there would never be a problem...

I was out yesterday at Fred Meyer and bought myself a present: Flannel sheets! I've never had them before. They had them marked down 40% off, so my set ended up costing me $23 for a queen size... That's cheap! I tried em out last night. Although I like the smooth feel (the feeling that makes you want to move your legs all around when you first get in) of clean regular sheets, the flannel sheets certainly were cozy!

I also bought a gingerbread house this last week while I was there. I learned my lesson last year. You go in the store one day and there is a huge floor display of the kits, and a week later they're all sold out. I bought this one on Wednesday and already the huge pile is halfway gone. Making a gingerbread house is something Sarah and I like to do every year.

Also on Wednesday Debbie brought her computer down. It's one of those deals where it's so ridden with bugs and crap that it hardly works. I'm doing major housecleaning on it (at my leisure of course). The trouble with doing that is that time has a tendency to get away from me, and I can't afford that this time of year. When I get this one done and out of the way it will be Rhon's turn. She should have been first, but being so far away it just wasn't convenient. It will happen though. Promise.

Friday an unusual thing happened. I have a dear friend named Cheryl that I've known for years via Yahoo chat. She lives just outside of town here with her husband and menagerie of critters. She text messaged me to come and join her and a few coworkers for drinks. When I drove up there I found most of her coworkers already gone (they had been drinking for a couple hours at that point) and Cheryl was feeling no pain. I stayed for a couple beers, during which time her last remaining coworker made me promise to take Cheryl's keys from her before she left, as she was almost on her lips at that point. It seems that Cheryl's marriage has been on the slow slide of death for some time, and Friday morning she left her husband a 3-page, carefully thought out letter when she went to work. It wasn't a letter of demands (she let me read it), rather, a thoughtful letter of resignation. She carefully explained her feelings and everything and did a very nice job of it. Anyway, she was in no shape to go home. Had I delivered her to her home, the fact that she was drunk would have not helped her at all. It would have just been a one-sided bloodbath with massive screaming more than likely. She came home with me and I poured her into bed. The poor dear could hardly walk even with me holding her up. She slept until noon the next day at which point I drove her back up to get her car. She was nervous about facing her husband, but fairly confident at the same time. I told her to just calmly explain that she will only be staying home until she finds her own place, and during that time she will have her space and he will have his. I still haven't heard from her at this point, so evidently she did okay or she probably would have got hold of me for emergency lodging.

It's been a long time coming, but she finally acted. She's a strong woman and I'm confident she will be fine. After all, she has years ahead of her... No sense in wasting them.

There is still more to report, but I'm outta time.

No comments: