Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Last Day of School


Well, not officially. Sarah said tomorrow is actually the last day, but hardly anyone will be going (her words). I told her she might just as well go whether anything is going on in the classrooms or not. Gives you lots of social time to say your summer goodbyes and stuff. I'll just be happy to not have to pick her up after school any more for a couple months.

That means Harley commuting to work!

Speaking of Harley--I got my new battery yesterday. I always have my UPS stuff shipped to me at work for obvious reasons. The last thing I want to see when I drive up to my home is a box sitting "naked" on the step out in the open. I got home and put it on the charger and pulled the old one out of the bike. Side-by-side, the old one is thicker. Sort sorta worries me, partly because it will rattle around if I don't put a spacer of some kind in with it, and partly because maybe it isn't as strong of a battery as the thicker one. If nothing else, the new one will be easier to get into the little hole it lives in. I need to figure out what I can use to take up the extra space to make it fit nicely. I hope it's got the juice I need to turn that baby over...

When I took Sarah and her boyfriend home yesterday, I saw that they had put Sarah's old pool up in the back. It's the kind that uses an air ring around the top, and it hadn't been filled up. The water can only go so high without the air ring to "float" the sides all the way up. I drove home and filled my portable air tank and came back and filled it up, then put the hose in the pool to add more water. When they set it up, they didn't get the bottom smoothed out quite right, so it the bottom had big wrinkles in it and one side of the pool was a little lower than the rest. They had also lost the big rubber o-ring that seals the top of the filter, so it would never really stop leaking.

I was back home for an hour or so when Teresa called. She said she heard a whoosh noise and looked out back to see that the pool had practically emptied itself, turning their parking area into sort of a shallow moat! I guess the one side that was a little lower is what did it. The water level got to a certain point and the pressure against it allowed it to "roll over" and empty itself. The only way to fix it right is to empty it enough to where you can straighten the bottom of it out, and I doubt if she'll do that. It just goes to show you--If your foundation isn't straight, neither will anything else be.

I'll be eating leftovers for a week! When I emptied my crock pot last night, the roast beef and the fixins' that were in the pot with it totally covered a big oval serving dish. It was excellent too. I added a salad to my meal so I could pretend I was eating right. Anyway, add the clam chowder leftovers to the roast beef and I've got lots of stuff to eat on for a while. I think I'll have hot dogs tonight for a change.

It's going to be a warm day, so I'll be simultaneously wanting to strip naked, drink beers, and ride the Harley. I guess I'll just have to prioritize...

No comments: