Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Forlorn Machinery

This is the time of year when gloom sets in. It's the time of year that people often reflect on things they have or have not done. It's when people have the holiday season behind them and realize how much money they really spent. For me, it's mostly weather that gives me the gloom. I guess it's the one bad thing about living in this part of the United States.

I make poor use of my time--That's no secret. For me, this time of year is when I notice most all the things that I should have done to my vehicles, but for one reason or another, did not. I like to be proactive (read that anal) and keep things in tip-top condition so I never have to apologize to myself or anyone else if my vehicles fail in some way. When the weather was nice and I should have done those sorts of things, I instead did something fun like going on a Harley ride. This is the time of year when I look at my vehicles and see forlorn machinery. Things that don't work, don't work well or correctly, noises that shouldn't be there, and updates or upgrades that should have been performed (lest they keep eating away at me). This is the time of year when it's rainy and cold all the time, and all I want to do when I come home from work is kick my shoes off and turn up the heat. I look at my cold, wet, and neglected vehicles and sigh.

It's my own fault. I've always been one to buy vehicles that were in need of something because the price was right. You know--When you fix some item on it yourself and save a ton of money, blah, blah. Over the years I've felt less and less like doing that. It's to the point now when time means everything, and yet, I still don't make good use of it. It's frustrating. Instead of making regular payments on a new car I can't really afford like most Americans, I choose the practical route and buy something that is affordable with cash.

I guess it's thoughts like that that lead to people creating resolutions every year. I don't create New Year's resolutions and never have. I guess I don't see the point in setting a stupid goal to do something you should have already done but never will do.

It just creates even more frustration.

2 comments:

Sue Z Q said...

Oh wah wah. Quit yer whining and just get yer truck fixed and back together, you'll feel so much better.
Whiner....

Besides, I got projects for you....

Rick Williams said...

Leave me be... I like to whine.

"Oh woe is me; My hole has a bucket in it. No, wait--That's not right..."