Monday, January 05, 2009

The Monday Morning Report


Here it is: The first Monday of 2009. Now we have to learn to write an '09 at the end of everything we date.

This has been a tumultuous weekend. Actually, that's not quite accurate. The weekend was fine, but the intro to the weekend was somewhat mind-blowing. New Year's Eve day was possibly one of the worst days I've ever had on an emotional level, and I'm glad things took a major turn for the better on the following day. The weekend itself was very good.

I have to give the media a major eye roll and thumbs down this morning. I was on Google News first thing, and right at the top of the list was a headline from Reuters:

Travolta heartbroken over son's death

Now don't you think it's pretty much a given that someone is going to be heartbroken over the death of one of their children? There is quite possibly one of the worst things about being a celebrity. There is no respect, no etiquette, and no reverence for the fact that someone lost a dear member of their family. They only care about being the first one to get a sound bite or statement that will make them look good. I can just visualize a huge mass of microphones being thrust into their faces with stupid questions being shouted loudly to make themselves heard. My heart goes out to Mr. Travolta and his wife that they should have such a tragedy and then have to put up with such a media circus instantly afterward.

I was at Suzie's house last night enjoying a most awesome soup she made, and outside the snow was falling once again. This is so unlike what we usually get around here! By the time I left for home, there was a little over an inch on the ground and still falling heavily. It was an enjoyable drive home. I like watching snow fall while I'm driving, and the fact that it was new and wet snow made it decent enough to drive in. I wasn't worried about it staying this time because the temp last night while it was snowing was barely freezing as it was. This morning I awoke to the sound of water coming down the downspouts so it's already melting considerably.

According to the school website, today is the first day back to school for Sarah. I hope she had a good time off. Kids love to go back to school after their Christmas break. After all, it's a very social life going to high school, or any school for that matter. They will all be comparing all the new clothing or cool toys that they received for Christmas too. I'm glad the roads are clear this morning for her to drive on. Her school is the only one of the four high schools here in Auburn that was built on a small hill, and so has bad driveways going in from either side when it's icy.

It will be a full 5 days of work this week, and I'm not looking forward to that. It would be okay if I were real busy, but the last couple days of work were not. The bad part is that even after I endure a full week of work, Friday's paycheck (for last week) will only have a 4 days worth of pay on it due to only Thursday being a paid holiday. Oh well.

2 comments:

Sue Z Q said...

Auburn-Riverside HS is on a hill - remember?

Rick Williams said...

Ha! So you say...