Sunday, January 28, 2007

MIA: Renter's Pride


If it's not missing, it sure seems to be. I think the general feeling among renters is, "The landlord maintains the grounds, so why should I care about it?"

As is typical of winter, more and more crap has been blowing around in people's yards. Some of it probably comes from recycling/garbage day when lids blow off of cans or when not all of the stuff makes it into the truck when they pour it. Some of it probably comes from litterbugs in general. The end result is the same though--The street in front of my place looked like shit. I would drive home and see crap strewn all over the street, sidewalks, lawns, and in shrubbery. Most litter seems to be a stark contrast to its surroundings too--Either white, or yellow--And therefore seems to stand out like a sore thumb.

I finally couldn't take it any more. I was out in the garage working on the Harley yesterday morning with the garage door open, and it got to me. I grabbed a bucket and went all around my place and up and down the street picking up everything that didn't belong. What a difference. I doubt if it even took me 15 minutes to do it all. I hope everyone saw me doing it, but I know if they did they probably just thought, "It's about time."

I went out to work on the Harley, but before I really got motivated to do that, I got sidetracked onto another path: Setting up my garage computer. Garage computer!? Yep, it was running at my old house too, and it's sole task was running mp3's through a receiver as my personal jukebox. So I scrounged around and got all the stuff together, ran the speaker wires, and got it all set up. It was good to have my music back.

Another thing that helped me work on the Harley was my kerosene heater. I've got one of those big round ones that is (I think) 22,000 btu. I almost sold it last month, certain that I'd probably never use it again. I'm glad I didn't. Even though it was sunny yesterday after the fog burned off, it was cold. With that heater in the middle of the garage, it was warm even with the big door open.

Garage, Harley, music, kerosene heater, lots of beer... Yep, it was a good day.

1 comment:

Rhon said...

You can come live in my neighborhood about once a month. Let's see if things tidy up that way.