Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Ho Hum


So, today is Valentine's Day. Yawn.

It's never been high on my list. I guess partly because I'm not a romantic, and partly because to me it's just another forced day of spending. Don't get me wrong--I like spending money--I just don't like days when the whole world feels obligated to spend money that day. Those days are all part of the Hallmark conspiracy. I'll stop and buy Sarah a card, and put a note in it good for a dinner at Red Lobster.

I used to really like it way back in elementary school though. Everyone in the class had the little "mailbox" things over on the one side of the classroom set up exclusively for Valentine's Day. It was required that everyone get one from everyone. I remember thinking back then how good of a thing it was emotionally to those kids that were treated worse than others. You know, the poor ones with bad clothes, the fat ones.... Whatever the reason. I remember getting a good feeling when I made them Valentines. I was too young to know that I was walking a fine line between condescending and philanthropy, but to this day I remember it as a warm, neighborly, "feelgood" time.

My trusty little red Neon that I bought back in June of 1994 clings to me yet, but no thanks to the repair estimate. The damages come to about $2100 and the little car isn't worth more than probably $1200.

Now I wait for the insurance people to call me and present me with my options. From where I sit, I only see them presenting me with three choices:

  1. Take the settlement they offer me and get another car
  2. Take the settlement they offer and buy my Neon back from them
  3. Do nothing and go after the guy that hit me myself for full repairs
I'm not an "ambulance chaser" and I don't need money bad enough to hit them with a heavy lawsuit. Besides, they cost money. I would, however, like to get my car completely repaired and get a few hundred extra for my time. I don't think there's much reason to go for anything punitive. The whole experience was probably pain enough if the guy and/or his insurance is going to end up shouldering the bills for 3 cars.

I hate this kind of shit.

No comments: