Friday, February 09, 2007

When Things Go Wrong


I was having a pretty good day today. My work was going smoothly, feeling fine, happy that it was Friday/payday...

What could go wrong?

I was on my way to pick Sarah up from school. I had just left my bank a few miles back and was about halfway to her school. I stopped at a red light behind a guy that was already stopped, and I looked in my rear view mirror just in time to see a guy look up from whatever he was doing and BAM! I doubt if he even got slowed down from 35 before he hit.

Because I was in the middle, the back of my car and the front of my car both got fucked up. It's drivable, but it has plenty of problems. I was so pissed. I'm still pissed, but what can I do, right? Might as well accept the fact that today was my day. At least my airbags didn't deploy like the stupid fuck that hit me.

It ended up being a 3-vehicle accident, and it was a busy 4-lane (with a turn lane in the middle) thoroughfare. Although the guy that hit us wanted to trade information and speed things up, me and the guys in front of me said no... We were going to wait for the police. The guy that hit me was a pretty young guy... Maybe 20 or so, but he was dressed nice in a white shirt and slacks, so he was either on the way home from work or going to work. The problem was it was his girlfriend's car, and he had no idea if she had insurance on it or not. It's always hard to tell, but he seems to be a decent kid. His dad showed up after a while, and he too seemed like a decent guy. I called Sarah and told her what was going on and to try and find an alternate ride home. After a while the cops showed up and filled out the report. It was very plain that the guy caused the whole thing and the cop acknowledged as much.

I got a call from Sarah and she told me she had a ride home, so that was good. I stopped by their house on the way home so Sarah and Teresa could see my poor little car. They are gearing the house up for a belated birthday party for Sarah tonight. I hope it goes well. When I got home I called my insurance company and gave them all the info (while I was pounding a beer down of course).

You know what the bitch of the whole thing is? I had just switched lanes not even a block prior to that.

If only...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your accident, but I am glad to hear you are OK. :-)

MB