Saturday, February 17, 2007

In the Thick of the Weekend


Sounds kinda dramatic doesn't it?

I'm tired. I spent almost 4 hours at a swap meet in Puyallup today. It was an unbelievable day, weather-wise, and the turnout was amazing. The swap meet was automotive for the most part, but also had lots of antiques and cool stuff. Pretty much anything that a guy would be interested in, and a lot of things ladies might also like. If you're into cool shit that is. I went for a couple reasons:

  1. I wanted to peruse the multitudes of displays for the "perfect" lights to use on the back of my Harley for turn signals. If I couldn't find something I could actually use, I hoped that maybe I might at least be inspired by some kind of cool design that I could use to make my own.

  2. I was looking for a 90-degree angle grinder. They're almost all made in China or somewhere, so quality isn't that big a deal. I need one to do the work on the back fender of my Harley that I want to do. They're air powered, and they're excellent for paint removal, smoothing, metal polishing... You name it.
As it turns out, I did find a grinder, but I struck out on the lights. I did, however, find some amber LED turn signals that I bought to use on the front though. Yes, for those of you with good memories, I did recently buy some amber LED front turn signals already. I'm not real happy with them though, and the ones I bought today look better and were cheaper. The grinder is a typical noisy Chinese P.O.S. grinder, but it was only 20 bucks, and it will get the job done.

Oh, I digressed--I was explaining why I was tired. Anyway, when I go to those swap meets, I have a certain way of shopping. I like to make a first pass through the entire swap meet as fast as possible, trying to note various "possibles" and good deals, and also trying to remember where I saw what. Then I usually go back to the best things or deals that I found and buy whatever I was after (if I can find it again). When that is done, I then relax and take multiple slow trips around the whole place... Looking for anything cool. By the time I left the place, I probably walked 10 miles.

While I was there (but just about to finally leave) I got a text message from Sarah, asking me where I was. She said it was a nice day for tennis practice (hint, hint). I texted back that it sounding good to me and that I was just about to leave. Anyway, I went home and had a beer, dumped my stuff, and headed over to Sarah's house. We went over to Auburn High School and played for a while. It was fun, and I definitely got my workout. By the time I got home, I was pretty worn. I'm feeling fine now though.

I got an email from Denis today that was a bit of a surprise: I told me to keep an eye out for a stolen Miata. WTF? What is it with us? I totalled my Neon last Friday, and he has his Mazda Miata stolen this week. Is it something with us brothers and the planetary alignment or something? Do we all have "Tired of our cars... Take them away" tattooed on our fucking foreheads? It's pretty weird.

The fate of my car is still up in the air. An insurance guy came by work the other day and took some pictures and info down. Evidently, he's the guy that does the local demographic part of the claim. He pursues whether or not the local market will show my car worth more or less than the national average. They use odometer mileage as one of their key tools, hence the reason for his visit.

For such a beautiful day, it's sure a contrast right now. Being able to sit downstairs at the coffee table au naturale at the laptop, and listening to the wind and rain pound the windows is cool.

I like being in a nice, warm, cozy place during stormy weather, don't you?

No comments: