Friday, August 24, 2007

Danger: Nerd Cutting Loose



Yep, livin' on the edge... That's what I'm doing... Here it is--Friday night, and I'm sitting here defragmenting my hard drive.

What's wrong with this picture?

It just seems so wrong doesn't it? To celebrate the end of the work week... By sitting here defragmenting my hard drive?! I never would've guessed in a million years that I'd be perfectly happy (that's the key isn't it) doing something so mundane on a Friday night.

Truth is, I've never done well with Fridays anyway. Friday is a normal workday, which means that you get up at the crack of dawn and work all day, right? Well, how the hell can a person expect to really party on Friday night if they've already been up for umpteen hours, and are probably worn out, both physically and mentally to boot? Well, as much as I'd like to say, "Yeah, I was out until the wee hours on Friday... I had a great time", it's just not accurate. I'm a person that admits that I'm better off taking it easy on Friday night. Saturday... Now THAT'S another story. No wait... Who am I fooling--I just don't have the "party stamina" anymore, simple as that.

Sarah passed her written license test a couple days ago, and she's going to take her driving test tomorrow morning. Teresa is taking her to test in the sleepy little town of North Bend at 8:30. I rode around town for an hour or so this evening to prep her and see how she's doing, and my honest opinion is that she's not quite ready. It's not anything to do with her actual handling of the car--She's doing very well at that. No, it's going to the the little shit that bites her in the ass. Everyone assumes that they're going to fail the parallel parking portion, and most people fail the backing around corners portion as well. That's 8 points off right there, and you need an 80 to pass. She has trouble remembering the turn signal 100% of the time is the main thing. Handling stop sign intersections wasn't sitting well with me either. Maybe I'm being too nitpicky, but I'm pretty sure the tester will do the same if not more.

I haven't gotten to drive with her and teach her and I feel bad about that. Once again here I am--A self-admitted bad parent. I guess I had a bad taste in my mouth about me buying her a car last March and she not being interested in driving any longer after attaining the title of "permit holder." She has been driving all the time since then, but just from point A to point B, and always in Teresa's car (hers is an automatic and mine isn't). Now I find out badly she wants to get her license before school starts next week, and feel that she's jumping the gun. I'm sure she wants it because her boyfriend is urging her to do so. Part of me wants her to pass so I can be proud of her and share her triumph, but part of me wants her to fail so she can become an even better driver. I'm also a little uneasy about her doing this just because her boyfriend doesn't want to get HIS license. I feel in agreement with Teresa if what she says is true about him using her that way. Trouble is, Teresa has been known to almost always blow things totally out of proportion.

Tomorrow is Nudestock, and even though the weather has been predicted to be iffy, I am still planning on going.

No comments: