Friday, August 10, 2007

Things Eventually Come to an End


A couple days ago I decided to drop by Costco on my way home from work.

Teresa gets a free Costco card from her boss, I'm piggybacked off of her card (spouses get one at no charge). A while back (maybe almost a year ago) I went in to do some shopping and was told at the cashier that her employer hadn't renewed their account yet. It's a pretty common occurrence at their store, and they go ahead and complete your purchase anyway, but it's kind of embarrassing. Because of that episode, I always start by going to the service counter before I shop and asking them to check my card.

All good things got to come to an end. (Stolen line from "Wildwood Weed" by Jim Stafford.)

The lady punches me into the computer and says, "It says here that you have been removed from the account."
"Hmm, that's odd," I said, "How about my wife?
I told her Teresa's name and she said, "No, hers is active."

Not wanting to pursue the matter, I just thanked my lucky stars that I was able to get into Costco on his dime for a year and a half up to this point. I didn't think anyone had anything to gain monetarily by limiting a card to only one person though. It's a Costco thing to offer an additional card free to a spouse, not the employer's. I suppose it's possible that Costco themselves actually did it as a result of the divorce paperwork that may take a long time to finally filter outward like a ripple in a pond, but it sounds more like something her boss would do. I like the guy and get along with him great, but he owns a collection agency, and he knows how to be tight with money. He doesn't even pay his own bills until the second or third notice. He knows exactly how far he can push all of them for his benefit.

Oh well... It was a good run while it lasted, but damn--I really had a hankering for a Costco-sized jar of marinated artichoke hearts...

In my last post I mentioned that I had placed an ad on Craigslist for a heater fan for my Neon. The next day I got a reply from a guy way up in Bellingham. He had one for $20. I wouldn't dream of driving to Bellingham for a heater fan motor--It would have cost me that much in gas. Well, it turns out that he comes all the way to Auburn every Thursday to pick up a car at the auto auction here in town, so my timing was perfect. I met him there yesterday, plugged the motor in (it's an excellent design--no tools needed for removal or installation) and paid him his twenty bucks.

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? (Stolen line from George Peppard on the A-Team.)

No comments: