Wednesday, March 07, 2007

A Restless Sleep




No, I didn't sleep very well last night. I don't know what the reason was exactly.



  1. It could have been the fact that I didn't eat until late, and then just had a sandwich
  2. It could have been the 3 or 4 trains in the 1-2 o'clock hour that rumbled and repeatedly blew their horns across the valley
  3. It could have been the fact that I had just bought Sarah a car
  4. All of the above
I'm pretty sure #4 about covers it. Yes, after months of searching, I finally found what considered to be a good buy. It's a 97 Pontiac Sunfire, and it's fully loaded with all the options. Here's a picture of it from the Craigslist ad I found it on:

I drove to their house at about 6pm to look at it. Because it was dark, I was lucky enough that they had it in a nice clean garage, and well lit. After giving it a good once-over, I concluded that this was one car that was well taken care of. It was a young couple in their upper 20's that had owned it since it was new, and have moved up to an Lexus SUV for a baby that's due later this month. I had the guy drive me around for a bit, then we traded and I drove us around. It handles, runs, and drives like new, and has no squeaks or rattles.

I paid for it and got a receipt, and we'll go pick it up tonight. I got home and called Teresa and told her about it, asking if she was free for the 3 of us to go get it tonight. Now there is more of a need for her dad to come get the boat out of one of her garage stalls so Sarah's car can live there. I told her that I'd buy them both dinner somewhere too. I gave her the option while I was talking to her of how much she wanted to reveal to Sarah while she was talking on the phone, but Sarah's no dummy--She knew we were talking about a car... I could hear her in the background.

I'm not sure what made (makes?) me nervous about it. I do remember thinking, "What if she doesn't like it?" The only reason I would even think that is the car's "flash" level. Sarah likes to be popular of course--All girls do. It's just that she likes to be noticed but doesn't want to stand out. I didn't buy it because it was red, but the red certainly does give it a little extra "look at me" factor.

Now I'm getting nervous again. Maybe it's just that I'm as excited about it as I hope she will be!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have lost sleep for nothing my friend, good grief Sarah is going to love it!!

:-)
MB

Rhon said...

I agree with MB, Sarah will be totally pumped. You are a great Dad; she is lucky to have someone so thoughtful who was willing to look so long for just the right car.