Sunday, April 08, 2007

Happy Easter!


I'm not a religious person at all, so Easter only means one thing to me--A family get-together at my parents' house.

As many of the people that routinely follow my blog know, visits to their house can sometimes be... "Tedious." I used to look forward to family functions over there, but not any more. I'm getting to where I show up no more than one hour before eat time. I used to like to go early and hang around and bullshit and stuff, but it just doesn't work like that any more. I think my dad thinks I'm an alcoholic because I am always drinking, but he just doesn't know that I find it unpleasant to face him without having some sort of an attitude enhancement. Hey, I'll be first to admit that I may have alcoholic tendencies, but I'm not an alcoholic. I think I maintain a pretty good balance on things.

I was hoping we could take Sarah's car over to their house, but Teresa still hasn't applied any insurance to it. All she needs to legally do to cover hers/our ass is to call the insurance office and leave a message with the car info on it on their answering machine, and we'd be covered from that time onward. Although it's not like we're hardly going anywhere, it still needs to be covered. Actually, the fact that it's not covered now is stupid. If it gets stolen from their house, it's gone. If we don't drive it over there today (which we probably won't) we'll have to endure all sorts of good-natured ribbing about it I'm sure, because nobody in the family has ever seen it yet in person.

Rhonda came back into town Wednesday night from visiting her parents in Ohio for 3 weeks. It was a bittersweet visit back to her home because of her father's current condition, but it was something that had to be done. It was good to see her back in one piece, and also good to get her truck out of my driveway... ;-) And thanks so much for the Harley gifts, Rhon!

My brother Denis popped in on me Friday night to see my progress on the Harley. After looking the parts over, he decided that we need to give the gas tanks an additional layer of primer before painting. I say "additional" because the finish coat of semi-gloss black that all the parts will have is actually primer in itself. Anyway, he said that if I could get the tanks finished up we could probably shoot them on Saturday. He also agreed with my assessment on the rear fender--That my repair was pretty fucked up. (I had nothing but trouble with it when I was welding it, and it kept burning through.) When it was all said and done, it needs quite a bit of bondo work to make it straight again, but it will be fine.

I spent 4 or 5 hours out in the garage yesterday morning and afternoon working on the tanks. It was a good day for it I guess. The weather was good (I like to work with the garage door open if I'm dressed) and everything went well. I took them over to his house mid-afternoon and we gave them another half hour or hour's worth of prep work to bring them up to his pre-paint standards and he shot them with 3 coats of a special primer. They came out very nice and he complimented me on my prep work. I don't have to tell him how much work it was--He has done a lot of Harley's and knows how thick and troublesome their finishes can be to smooth or remove. At any rate, that part of it is finally done. There is really only one thing left for me to do, and that is on the rear fender. I need to decide how I'm going to attach the rear seat mount to it. It has to be something sturdy, but yet works well with the constant installing and removing every time I put the passenger seat back on. It's getting there!

I went over to Sarah's house last night at 8 o'clock to color Easter eggs with Sarah. As usual, we did great and had some excellent designs. It's not like it's any amazing thing to do, but Sarah is very, very loving of traditions, and coloring eggs is one of them. It's not the eggs, it's the fact that we're coloring them.

Well, I guess I should get myself moving. I guess I'll get all my dishes washed before I bother getting dressed... it's much more comfortable that way.

Deviled eggs, here we come!

No comments: