Friday, April 20, 2007

Thinking of Emma


My granddaughter Emma is going under the knife today. I so wish I could be there! I text-chatted with Mark and Dana the other night on Mark's birthday, and they told me that she's going in today for some kidney surgery. It's an outpatient thing so it's not too serious, but any surgery is serious in my opinion. Apparently what's happening is some sort of kidney reflux that she's had since birth. As a matter of fact, that's what led Mark to search me out two years ago--To see if there was anything genetic that he should know about. Anyway, each time she pees a little bit backs up into the kidneys again or something to that effect, and creates infections. She's been on antibiotics since she was born, and now that she's crossed the two-year point and nothing has gotten any better, it's time to step in. Believe me, her parents are nervous, and who wouldn't be? To have to send your angel into the hospital to be subjected to that sort of thing. I talked to Mark again last night, and when I asked about Emma, he said she was sleeping--Blissfully unaware. Dana has been making herself sick with worry these last several days.
I am going to be thinking of them all day.

It was a great afternoon for a tennis match yesterday, and Sarah was paired with an outstanding partner--One that usually plays singles and wins. They played against a tough team yesterday (#1 in the standings), but Sarah and her partner game them a run for their money. They ended up finally losing 2 of 3 matches, but it was very close all the way. One of them even had to go into "tie-breaker" rules at the end. They were so evenly matched that it went one-for-one almost to the end. The thing that I noticed yesterday though, was that Sarah was much more businesslike about it. She knows the girl well, but is not one of her close friends. It was plain to see that she respects her and therefore didn't want to disappoint her. Their match took over two hours and they were the last ones playing, and they were both worn out by the time it ended. I thought they did excellent!

I guess Sarah and Teresa's new cell phones came in at her brother's house yesterday, so they'll be going up to his house later today for them. He's had that provider for a few years now, so he'll give them the tutorial on how everything works on them. I'm sure Sarah is pretty excited... She likes technology. I hope T can keep up... She gets confused with technology.

Speaking of cell phones, Teresa told me last night that Sarah's boyfriend went "slightly" over his allotted usage last month. His bill was a little over $400. WTF? I'm sure it was all he and Sarah that ran it up. According to her, he has a really crappy plan and doesn't get much. Even our prepaid plan was much better than what he had. He's lucky in the fact that his sister pays his cell bill. I'm not sure how that works... Maybe it's a Japanese family thing. I would say that's a pretty nice sister! But even nice sisters have their breaking point, and I guess he's on cell phone restriction now.

Learning to juggle resources, money, and time... One of life's great lessons...

2 comments:

Rhon said...

Rick one of our twins has the same kidney reflux issues. She too has been on antibiotics since birth, going on 7 years now. Kidney issues are apparent in Tracy's family. My best thoughts and prayers for Emma today.

Gloria said...

Rick,
Wow, I hope that all is going great with Emma. It is always so sad to learn of a child having to go through so much.
My Blessings and prayers are with you and your family.