Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Jumping Through Hoops


That's basically what I was doing after work yesterday, but unlike trained circus animals, I didn't get a treat--Just kind of a "stay out of jail free" card.

I was lucky with Northbound traffic at 2:30 pm yesterday, because that was the time I had to speed up to Bellevue to get my car inspected by the State Patrol (hoop #1). They do that on any vehicle that has been totaled by the insurance company. I guess the main reason is to insure that a car is still safe to drive on the roads. It kinda makes you wonder how many aren't doesn't it? I'm sure the secondary reason is the $50 fee that gets added to the title fee when you re-register it.

I got there a full hour early, but because there was no one in line they waved me right in. The guy did a couple of quick checks of visual damage, noted the numbers on the car (VIN and mileage), then had me turn the key on to see if the airbag light would go off (which of course it did). The first thing he asked me after he looked at both ends of the car was whether any airbags went off.

After doing his thing, he stamped my registration and attached the form he filled out onto it. Then he says,
"Your normal renewal time is June and you have an emissions test due this year (every other year in our area) so you might as well get that taken care of first before you go to the license agency."
"Okay," I said.
He continued, "And you might want to do it as soon as possible--Your plates have been canceled."
Whoops.

After leaving there, I sped home the "back way" using Highway 18, intending to pop in on Sarah's tennis match. Her school is right off one of the exits there before I come into Auburn. The closer I got the wetter the ground was, so I knew there would be no game and her schedule would be practice until 5:15 instead. I continued on past her school exit and went to the emissions inspection station to get the car "sniff tested" which of course it passed with flying colors (hoop #2).

From there, I hit the license agency. Teresa's name is on the title and registration alongside mine, so I knew I wouldn't get it taken care of during this visit. I asked the gal behind the counter what I need to do to get her taken off my paperwork short of bringing her in with me, and she pulled out a form and highlighted all the parts that she needs to fill out and notarized (hoop #3).

About the time I drove into my driveway my phone rang. It was Sarah, explaining that her practice was over and she was ready to be picked up. When I dropped her off at home, I gave Teresa the form she needed to fill out and explained it to her. It should work out well because she works in a collections office and they have a notary there. She should have it for me at tonight's rescheduled tennis match. I can stop by after work tomorrow and get all my licensing done. I've been driving illegally probably for a few weeks at least... What's another day or two.

Assuming I make it... (hoop #4)

No comments: