Friday, July 06, 2007

A Potential Car Crisis


I drove Sarah's car to work yesterday, and of course it ran and drove just fine and all was well.

That is, until the drive home when I decided to test the air conditioning.

I'm not saying it didn't work. It worked... If you can call cool air instead of cold air working. In others words, the system is totally functional, but is in BIG time need of a recharge. I'm sorry I didn't get to it sooner now. I can drop it off at a place today at 3 and wait for it, but it could take up to two hours to get finished. It's very obvious though, that a well-working AC will make or break this vacation. It's going to be in triple digits during much of our trip.

When I got home, I changed the oil, aired the tires (and spare of course), and spent some time vacuuming the interior out. It still had tenacious dog hair in the back seat. It's pretty common really, as not everyone has a shop vac, and a standard house vacuum just doesn't have enough power to suck individual hairs out of seat fabric.

Another thing on my list was the satellite radio. I went into the garage, turned on the computer and went to the Sirius site to get the info I needed to have to start the service. Her car came equipped with the whole system for satellite radio that the people didn't need because their new Lexus SUV had it built in. Anyway, I read the setup instructions online. It said to write the number on the back of the radio down, turn the system on, and tune it to channel something-or-other. I go out to the car, plug it all together and turn it on. It's on already! Could it be that the people didn't stop their service? Hmm... Could be. I played with it for quite a while and it seems to work just fine. That almost countered the fact that the AC didn't work.

Almost.

I was going to go to the biker bar with Steve and Maria, but decided that I had too much to do, not to mention I shouldn't be blowing any more money. It's not going to be a cheap trip after all...

I spent the rest of my evening getting a few little odds and ends done. I still haven't packed a single thing yet though, and one thing I've meant to do but still haven't, is iron a few of my summery, cotton, button down shirts. I'm a t-shirt man, but I own a lot of lightweight cotton shirts that Teresa had bought me over the years. They're very comfortable and look good, but require ironing. I should take a couple of them. I also would like to have a baseball cap that looks decent. I'll look into that as well.

Well, last day of work for a while... I hope it's a good one!

No comments: