Sunday, July 29, 2007

A Saturday of Mechanic Work


The stars spoke to me and the planets must have aligned yesterday, because I finally attacked the heater core replacement job that I have been dreading on my Neon. The thing is, I don't yet have a new heater core on hand to put in it--I wanted to get the old one out first so I could verify the physical dimensions and make sure I got the right one to replace it with.

I was mentally prepared for the undertaking and was in a very methodical and relaxed mood, which is necessary. Also, the weather was perfect: Lower 70's with a breeze every now and then. All day to do it with no time constraints. I started it at just before noon and had the whole thing apart (yes, only apart) by about 4pm.

I have done a lot of heater core replacements in vehicles over the years. I have done a lot of repairs of many kinds to many vehicles over the years. I have never encountered anything like this Neon. I truly had to take the interior almost all the way down to the naked firewall under the windshield to get the heater core out. Seats, console, steering wheel, steering column, complete dash--All had to come out. It was layer after layer of things... All interwoven together to fit into a tight little space. I was so amazed at it after the fact that I snapped a few pictures:

Click here to go to the Neon disassembled

I ordered a replacement online, so I won't be able to put it back together until at least next weekend. They were a lot cheaper than buying local. I guess I'll be riding the Harley all week for sure. Maybe I'd better get the truck working a little better for backup...

When it comes time for reassembly, I sure hope I can remember where all those pieces go!

No comments: