Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Big Surprise


Boy, sometimes you just never know how people are going to react.

My day yesterday was very ordinary. Not too busy, but I found plenty to keep me busy. I spent most of the day working down in Elaine's area of the shop. Sue and I had discussed telling her about us and by afternoon still had not done so. There was one "almost" when she came back to where I was working and about that time Elaine left and another coworker drifted nearby.
"Darn, just when I get here Elaine leaves and he shows up." She said, pointing to the nearby coworker. I didn't know exactly what she was going to do because we still hadn't really planned anything.

It was almost quitting time when Suzie came back again and was puttering around where I was sitting at a workbench. Elaine was about 10 feet to my right when Sue leaned over and kissed me a couple times.
"Shoot, she wasn't looking!" Sue said in mock frustration. Obviously, we needed to be a little more direct.

"Elaine..." I called, waving my hand and motioning her toward Suzie and I.
"Did you know Suzie and I were 'an item'?" I asked.
She had a sort of blank look on her face until I turned back to Sue and kissed her a couple times and we both smiled.

Elaine instantly blushed red and started crying!

Sue left to go back up to the office up front and I asked, "Elaine, are you okay?"
"I just want everyone to be happy!" she said, still blushing and weepy, but very happy.

At first she thought it was a sort of random event, but I explained to her that Sue and I had discussed it and decided that we wanted to include her in on our little secret. When I told her that she was the only one we wanted to be in on it and share it with us she was very moved. Sue and Elaine and I all work slightly staggered schedules so they are there longer than I am, and after I left, Sue went back over and talked with her a little bit more about it too.

Wow. Neither of us expected quite that much of a reaction from her. I talked with her a bit afterwards right before I left for home, explaining a few of our details. Suz came by my house later on when I was cooking dinner and talked for a minute before leaving to go to a church meeting near her house. We both agreed that her reaction sort of took us by surprise.

Needless to say, that was quite the event. Now there are three of us that are in the know. All of us will have the Mona Lisa smirk!

No comments: