Thursday, January 31, 2008

I Love a Good Deal!


But then everyone does, don't we?

As I have already explained, I had ordered a SD card for Sarah's new camera last weekend. Days went by and no communication from the company about anything. When I finally contacted them, they explained that it was backordered. Wasn't that nice of them to keep me so well informed? I thought so, and to show my appreciation I canceled the order and chewed them out.

That put me online yesterday morning, and that's where I first found this deal.

Staples.com had a 2 gig card on there for 19.95 with an "instant savings" of 5 bucks, bringing it down to 15 bucks! I was just about to hit the place order button but stopped. With shipping and tax it ended up being about 23 bucks. I paused and closed the browser window. I decided to stop by their Kent store on the way home. I figured they oughta be about the same and that way I wouldn't have to wait for it. Imagine my surprise when I walked up to the rack and there it was with a price of 49.95 attached to it! I couldn't believe it. I mean, I'm used to disparities between stores and online, but come on--That much?! Well, a store employee came up to me about that time and I tried my best to avoid venting on him--After all, he didn't do anything wrong. I may have let a little frustration and color escape my lips, but then he saved the day:
"We do price matching," he volunteered.
"For your own company's prices? Online?" I asked, making sure we had the story straight.
"Sure."
Well, he couldn't believe it either when he carried the item over to the computer, went online to their site and plugged in the SKU number. There it was: 15 bucks. So, he was my hero... He took me up front and did the price match and I walked out of there a happy man with my deal of the day.

I wrapped up her camera and the card and took it over to their house but nobody was home. I guess that's getting to be pretty common. Of the last 5 or 6 times I've "dropped in" over at their house it's been that way. As I told Suzie last night, I guess it's another era ending. Now they both have other places to go and ways to get there. I'll try again tonight, but I'll make it a little closer to dinnertime.

In other news, it would appear that Bruce knows about Suz and I at work too. I was working on something back at Elaine's table and he came walking up.
"Well, did you tell Elaine yet?" he asked.
"Huh? Tell her what?" I asked, trying to figure out what he was talking about.
"You musta forgot that you gave me the address of your blog." he laughed.
I laughed. "Oh yeah, that's right." I said. I told him that we had indeed told her, and brought him up to speed on the events of the last day or so. He thought it was pretty cool that we were both together. I couldn't agree more. Every time she visits it's like we haven't seen each other in a month.

I suppose it's just a matter of time before more coworkers happen to notice things though. We're reckless!

No comments: