Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Late For Work Because I'm The Dad


Yep, it's true. It wasn't anything I did though. It was because I was being the good "dad" and helping out.

I was sitting here enjoying my moment of coffee time yesterday morning and had just posted my blog post for the day when the phone rang.
"Dad? My printer won't print."

When Sarah calls at 5am on a Monday morning with a printer problem that means only one thing: She was up probably past midnight doing a report that should have been done days ago.

After talking with her a minute, we determined that her PC has some sort of USB connectivity issue and won't recognize the printer or even the mouse if you plug them in. That's the computer the printer is always usually plugged into. I asked her to try the laptop, but she said it wouldn't work either. I surmised that the drivers probably weren't installed for it yet. At any rate, there was really only one option that I could see.

"Email the files to me and I'll print them off and bring them by on the way to work." I suggested.

I didn't anticipate the amount of stuff she needed printed. There were six 1-page documents, and six 6-page documents! Holy crap. It's not like I have a laser printer you know, so it was a little slow due to most of the pages having a graphic of some kind on them (they were all some sort of math graphs). By the time I usually leave for work there were still two 6-pagers waiting to be printed so I had to call in and tell them I was going to be late. It gave me plenty of time to go out and scrape all the ice off my windows and warm my car up. By the time they were done printing I had everything ready so I grabbed them and jetted out. When I drove up to the front of the house, Teresa stepped out to get them.
"I hope they're all right because she doesn't get a second chance this time." I said and hurried back to my car.

As it turns out I was only 10 minutes late. Everyone in the place was staring with a look of mock disbelief, "You were late? Wow!"

I texted Sarah a little later and asked her if everything came out all right and she said yes. Whew. She's a very smart girl, but isn't the best at managing her time. Anyone that can bring home straight A's in high school has got my support!

The things we must do for our kids, right? Oh well, I'm not a real good dad as far as dads go, but one thing about me--I will always step up when she needs help, whether she brought it on herself or not.

No comments: