Friday, February 08, 2008

At Last... My Favorite Day


It didn't used to be, but Friday is my current favorite. Why? Well, there's the obvious: The fact that it's the end of the work week. The real reason though is because it's the night of the week that Suzie and I get to spend the most time together.

I got hold of my old boss at Boeing yesterday after work. He wants me to email him a resume as soon as possible. Apparently they're extremely short on planners due to attrition. Because so many employees have retired lately they're hurting for new bodies. The part that I don't like is the fact that he said it is a contract job for at least 6 months. At that point they would do whatever they can to make you a permanent employee--Assuming you stand the test of time. The good part is the money. He said it's currently paying 45-55 bucks an hour. Wowsa. The bad part is that because it's contract I would have to do my own withholding and pay my own insurances. He also couldn't give me a good answer as to what their current workload is. The last thing I want to do is go to a job that is so overworked that it carries mandatory overtime on a daily and weekly basis. You know I value time over money.

I guess it wouldn't hurt for me to submit a resume to him. Maybe I should tell the powers that be at work--It would definitely be nice to see what (if anything) they might bring to the bargaining table. In reality I would be happy if they'd just give me some more vacation time. At least I'm fortunate to work at a company that welcomes employees back with open arms when their intended new ventures don't work out. I just don't know. I emailed a couple people at Boeing to see if they can give me any insight as to the current work status of any contract planners they may know. Maybe that will help me.

I think I used to be more decisive than this. I guess it's tough when you don't know all the answers and your future hangs in the balance.

I know I'd sure be sad to leave my workplace romance behind. That's probably a big reason for my indecisiveness right now. Both Suzie and I have been so happy at work lately!

1 comment:

Rhon said...

Rick,
Do what is right for you. The rest of the good stuff will all fall in line with it if you just trust your instincts.