Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Biker Babe!


Yep, ready or not, Suzie has been dragged into the world of motorcycling. Ready mentally: Sure! Ready physically: Uh... Hey, it's still February! Brrr!

She came over yesterday morning just as the sun was coming out. I had been over to Teresa and Sarah's house to put a new toilet valve kit in their toilet (which went flawlessly easy, thank goodness) and had just gotten back. Because it wasn't quite yet time to go, we opted to head to Southcenter (in the car) to check out a few camera bags. Although we only stopped at a couple stores and didn't buy anything, we did get some good info to proceed on.

When we got back to the house we dressed her up for the ride the best we could. Granted, we don't have any chaps, and I don't ride with a windshield, so we were somewhat limited as far as comfort goes. I hoped that because she was behind me it wouldn't be too much of an issue. Helmet, leather jacket (I have a "so-so" fitting one here that she wore), jeans over thermals, and heavy socks and hiking boots was her uniform of the day. We weren't planning on taking a long trip or anything, just a ride to somewhere with our new cameras to take some pictures.

We stopped for pictures at the Green River Gorge. I intended to just use the bridge that spanned the river far below as a basis for some potential pictures, but neither of us were prepared for what we found when we stopped. Right there near where we parked the bike were ponds with geese and peacocks roaming around. Evidently the male peacock near us was somewhat the showoff (typical male, right?) because the minute the cameras came out he paraded over to us and gave us the full peacock feather display just a few feet away. We got some pretty good pictures! From there we continued to the sleepy little burg of Cumberland and stopped for a beer at the City Hall Saloon. It felt good to sit outdoors in the sun and talk for a while.

For a first outing on the bike, she was left with a fairly good overall impression I think. There was no problem with my piloting abilities, but we definitely need to "ramp up" the clothing for her. After all, it's not exactly summer... I think I left her with a little bit of a perspective on how nuts I really am to ride to work in 22 degrees.

"Yes honey, I believe I was dropped as in infant... Why do you ask?"

No comments: