Friday, July 11, 2008

Clothing and Comfort


Yes, it's time for my annual commentary on nudism. You know it was bound to happen soon didn't you?

I love this time of year. It's the time of year when clothing is optional. Many people don't like summer because it's simply not comfortable. Their clothes stick to them, they have trouble sleeping, they are constantly wiping their foreheads, and they find themselves irritable and short of temper. For me, it's the time of year when the clothes fall off. They have a tendency to disappear when I get home from work. It's the time of year when the neighbors could get an eyeful of me in the kitchen making my lunch every weekday morning (if they were foolish enough to be awake at 3:45am). Yup, it's summer.

Comfort is all in how you dress (or not) and where you place your fans. Yes, fans. I don't like air conditioning. Air conditioning lowers the temperature to a level that requires you keep your clothes on, and allows you to still be able to sleep under the mountain of covers and blankets you're used to sleeping under.

Where's the fun in that?

A fan just creates the necessary breeze to make the current temperature enjoyable without lowering it. The more skin you bare, the better they work. Many times I go to bed lying on top of the covers with the fan on low, doing its quiet, slow sweeping action back and forth. Many of those times I awake the same way, still comfortable, and still lying on top of the covers.

Comfort is not easy for many people. It's really that there are two kinds of comfort: Physical and mental. It's easy to drop your clothes and enjoy the freedom of being bare, but most folks can't do that. It's either that they don't have the freedom to do that in their home, or it's their mental comfort level. Maybe they can't be bare because they are brought up with the notion that bodies are meant to be covered. Even if they want to, they just can't do it--It just doesn't feel right. There's not much anyone can do about that. To them I say: Go buy an air conditioner. I wasn't brought up as a nudie, but neither was I brought up believing that I needed to stay covered. It simply was never really addressed one way or another. It's something that I discovered on my own, and you know what? I like it.

I'm staying bare.

No comments: