Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Working Without Suz


When I was at work I would only usually see fleeting glimpses of Suzie, but I sure enjoyed them. Occasionally she would come out to the shop and we would get a chance to talk for a minute. Obviously, those times were the best.

Yesterday was the first day at work with no Suzie. She was home in her robe enjoying her first day of freedom from the struggles and mind games of LaCroix Industries. It was weird. Although I knew she wasn't there, I still found myself looking for her. I noticed throughout the day that I was somewhat "off my game" because of it. It was obvious that I missed seeing her. Try as I might I couldn't shake it. All day long it was there--Sometimes worse than others. When I would slump down into my chair at break time for a little "shut eye" time, every time the door to the office opened next to me I found myself still listening for someone walking behind me as she would occasionally do when she needed to use the paper cutter that is kept in my work area. Then it would hit me. "Stop thinking about it," I would tell myself.

It's hard to do.

Because she was working there when I hired on, she has worked there the entire time that I have. To me, it was like she was practically part of the company. Back when I was still married and I had not yet been severely impaled with cupid's arrow I still looked forward to the times I could interact with her for whatever reason. I just always liked the little exchanges we would have.

Sure, I know I can see her every day regardless of whether I see her at work or not, but it's just so different now. I was so struck by her absence yesterday that I couldn't wait to run up to her house after I got off work.

I hope I get over this aching at work soon, but you know what? I hope I never stop missing her when she's not around me.

No comments: