Thursday, September 14, 2006

The End of Summer


(sigh) Yep, it's pretty obvious from my perspective--I had to wear my robe when I got up yesterday morning, and even added slippers to it this morning. No more nude mornings. Deep Sigh.

I rode the Harley to work yesterday morning for no reason in particular other than it's been a while. It always takes a good 5 minutes longer to get going when I ride it to work. I have to warm it up for a minute before I leave, and I have to gather up all my goodies to wear and put them on. When I got on it and started putting my helmet and goggles on, one of my glasses lenses goes *boink* and falls out into my goggles. I'm already borderline on being late at this point, and now I have to open the garage door again and find a jeweler's screwdriver and put my glasses back together. It was a great ride to work though. This time of year the air is a little heavier and more moist, and the Harley just loves it. It runs fantastic on these days.

I've been sitting on some oak pallet boards at work that I plan to cut up for my woodstove, and it's looking like now is about the time to do it. These aren't your average oak pallets--These are specialty ones made for the heavy ribbonlike coils of stainless steel we run through the press. They only have 5 slats, but they're almost 1.5" thick, and they also each have two 4x4's running underneath holding all the slats. They're very good wood for burning, and are very easily cut up with no waste. I won't bother with nails because they can be burned and swept out with the ashes. I also like the fact that because they're all dimensional lumber they'll stack fairly nicely here at home.

It's looking like I'll be working this Saturday. I don't like overtime, but I have to admit--Since my last raise I have a new outlook on it. That raise put me to the point where a little time-and-a-half income every now and then is worth my time. Up to this point I always considered my time to be worth more than any extra income. I still don't like overtime, but now I'll do it from time to time. The reason for it this time has to do with my job anyway. We're a little short on people, but the main problem is that the Sonicare toothbrush company suddenly raised their orders for the next couple weeks. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but they actually wanted two complete orders at one time, and that was something we normally are not ready for. Between my making the parts, the washer guy running the loads of them through the washer to clean the oil off them, and the packaging guy boxing them up (my old job way back when!) it will take us a couple days. No problem. Actually, when I go in on Saturday, the packing guy may or may not even be there. I understand he's going in to get wisdom teeth removed tomorrow. I have a feeling that I will be doing his packaging instead of running the press. Oh well, the good thing there is that I always liked that job, and I won't have to wear hearing protection and will be able to listen to music.

I can also tell that we are entering the dry hand season. I'll be using more and more hand lotion on a daily basis, that's for sure.

I still haven't decided if I want to be here for Halloween night or not. All my life I've had to stay home while Teresa took Sarah door to door trick-or-treating. I feel that I really missed out on that little part of Sarah's life, but it was usually because they always went with a friend of Teresa's, and also the fact that it gave me an evening somewhat to myself--Even if I was always answering the doorbell. I live in a more populated area here, so I have a feeling that I will have to double the amount of stuff I hand out than I ever did at the houses we lived at. I just feel like I would like to keep an eye on things just in case of vandals or whatever. I don't know... I'll see how I feel as it draws near.

Yep, bye-bye sun... Bye-bye nudism...

No comments: