Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Pain can be such a pain


I had such a headache this morning when I got to work.

I hesitate to use Excedrin first thing in the morning because of its caffeine content. I just don't feel like having more caffeine right after polishing off two 16 oz cups of coffee at home. So, what do I do? I put up with it. I do my best "mind over matter" imitation, willing the pain away.

So anyway, back to the headache. It was the kind that is behind your eyes... You know the one. There may be technical name for it, but as far as I'm concerned it was just a throbbing pain. It seemed to be concentrated more towards my right eye actually, but I didn't really care.

It was just pain.

Then at one point I ended up with a feeling of discomfort in my right eye. It's the same exact feeling I might get when there's a teeny little eyelash swimming around in it. Not everybody can touch the surface of their eyeball, but I can. I went to the mirror in the bathroom and carefully wiped my finger across the surface of my eyeball, gently rolling it as I did. The instant I did so I saw a red spot in my eye. Thinking I had something red on my finger, I gently wiped again. This time I witnessed it smear. WTF? I either made my eye bleed by gently wiping it the first time, or it chose to bleed regardless and I just happened to be in there at that time. When I tried to wipe it a third time, the red stayed. Obviously it was just below the surface of the eye at that point.

I left the bathroom... Still in pain, but somewhat concerned. I've never had a big rid blood spot in the white of my eye before. I decided to just monitor it from time to time.

Throughout the day, the headache came and went. Holding itself at bay just enough to keep me from taking my Excedrin, but making itself known enough to be a nuisance. It seemed like about the time I wanted to take something for it, it was almost lunch time, and it would've interfered with my nap.

Add to that the fact that I just noticed a nice, healthy canker sore in my mouth too. That's just fine... Might as well have everything crap out all at once.

Fortunately, I was doing okay by the time I went to pick Sarah up after school. My eye spot was gone, but instead just looked overly bloodshot in that area of the spot. We went to the store and bought some goodies to eat and drink, then went to her house where we hung out on the deck and talked for an hour or so.

Spending time with Sarah was a good way to end a painful day. It kind of lets you know how much pain is nothing but a little something in the way of the rest of your life.

Step around it and move on.

No comments: