Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Ho Hum


I don't know why, but I've felt "down" at work for the last several days. Sure, I've had some events at work that caused me grief, but I still feel odd lately. I'm sure others notice it when I'm not myself too.

Bruce, my supervisor, always gets to work a half hour after everyone else because he takes the ferry over from Vashon Island every morning. This morning when he came in, I gave him the update on all my problems that I'd been having both yesterday and Friday. About that time, the shop foreman came up and told me and Bruce that the general manager had wondered why I left at quitting time the day before when there was so much work to do and people I could be helping. Translation: It's a short week, and they want EVERYONE to work extra hours every day because they don't have to pay overtime this week. They only pay time-and-a-half to everyone over 40 hours, and there's not much chance of that happening in only 4 days. They (in the front office) consider it cheap labor I'm sure.

Not me. I don't buy into that whole thing. I don't care if it's a short week or not, I'm not staying over and working for standard wage. My time off work is MY time, and I don't want to cut it short. Maybe that had something to do with my mood today, I don't know. I feel strongly enough about it that had someone pressed me on it, I was prepared to say, "Are you ready to lose another employee over this?" I would seriously walk, and I doubt if anyone would press it past that. After all, Boeing probably still wants me, according to my ex brother-in-law.

Anyway, come 2:30 I punched the clock and out I went... No problems at all. I had a very nice drive home, and I drank in the beautiful aroma of ripe blackberries that filled the air between Kent and Auburn. This is the time of year for them, and they are everywhere along the Green River. It's truly one of my favorite smells, and it is usually accompanied by the smells of the river itself and other vegetation that grows along it.

Before I popped my first after work beer (but after I stripped of course) I hopped up and did some chin-ups on the new machine. Ha... It's been a while. I managed to get a whole 10 of them, and let me tell you, that last one took everything I could muster to get it. I was literally shaking as I inched my way to the bar.

Now that I've sat a bit and relaxed, I'm going to go downstairs and make myself up some turkey burgers for dinner. I stopped and got some buns and lettuce and stuff on the way home. I always adjust the recipe, but they are always good!

No comments: