Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Assumptions of Quality


You know, I was wondering what that was yesterday when I was eating my sandwich and I thought I smelled something. I didn't notice an odd taste or anything though. Maybe the mustard was my salvation. Anyway, this morning while making my lunch my nose told me that the honey ham I was making my sandwich out of was not up to standards. I hate that. The package was just opened a few days ago, and is well below pull date.
It kinda makes you think about all the things we take for granted... Things we that assume have been completed, manufactured, cooked, built or whatever--All correctly.

Or were they?

We have no idea what's really inside any package of food we buy or if it was stored correctly do we? We have no lab in our homes to test with, nor are we trained to do it. We have no idea if that wheel on our car was made correctly and will stand up to the hard cornering we're doing we up on a mountain road. We have no idea if the wiring in our house is just one light switch click away from a total meltdown. How many times have any of us ever washed off the top of that coke or beer can before we placed our lips on it? Probably never.

When you think about it, you can go on and on and on.

There's no sense in being paranoid about it though--All those things are out of our control for the most part. All we can do is be vigilant and address things as we see em. We have to trust. Trust in every person that had a hand in making the product that we buy. Let me tell you, there are a lot of people behind the scenes of anything you buy. Take my little package of lunch meat: Farmer, meat plant, curing, testing, handling, added ingredients (attach the same list to each of those), packaging, etc. And that's just the product inside the wrapper. There is a whole different list of people associated with the package itself.

Trust. Assume. Hope...

No comments: