Friday, May 25, 2007

The Beginning of a 3-Day Weekend


Not that I'm going to do anything exciting...

One positive note: The Harley is ridable. I took it down off the jack last night and took it down the little street in front of me a few times.

I had a lot of problems I dealt with:

  • I poured some gas in it and it leaked out of two places where the inferior clamps I used didn't hold. During that whole fiasco I ended up with gas everywhere.
  • After I fixed the gas leaking and tried to start it, the battery went flat so I had to put it on the charger.
  • After the battery had enough juice to start it, I found it had no spark and wouldn't start. I removed the right side fuel tank where all the wiring is and re-seated all the wiring plugs and it was fine then.
  • There seems to be an oil leak on the left side that it never had before (at least it never leaked enough to present itself to me before). I have no idea what it is yet because it's not exactly easy to access.
Chris from two doors down was here with his darling little 3-year old daughter Kaylee while I was farting around with it. He was helping me with little things as I was troubleshooting everything. I was hoping to ride it to work today, but the good thing is that it is ridable at this point, so some careful work this weekend should clinch it.

I stopped at Winco foods after work to buy my "Friday beer" just in case I was able to ride the bike to work today (nowhere to carry a half case of beer on a Harley). Just as I pulled into the parking lot, the phone rang. It was Teresa, calling from work and explaining how Sarah was doing. Her timing was perfect because she was telling me that Sarah wanted a few things to eat and drink and wondered if I could get them for her. When I stopped by to see her and drop off her groceries, I got a firsthand look at what strep throat looks like. Wow... I pity anyone with that. She was still able to eat, but had to chew things up pretty well to get them down her throat. She was drinking a lot of smoothies and Sobe strawberry-banana drinks. Anyway, she seemed to be in good spirits and was enjoying the fact that she was able to stay home on a nice day. She had been spending time out in the hammock on the deck reading.

Because I knew she was out of school was the reason I hoped to be able to ride the Harley to work today. I am usually her after school transport home, and the bike doesn't quite work for that. Actually, I may get to next week anyway because of their mandatory 10-hour day work week on holiday weeks. I usually avoid such things, but I may do it next week. It's not time-and-a-half because it will still be only a 40-hour week, but it will still be extra pay.

Although I'm a little disappointed that I couldn't ride to work today, it's okay. After all, it's a 3-day weekend, right?

No comments: