Sunday, May 27, 2007

Weekend Stuff


It was an interesting day yesterday. I spent most of my morning nude as usual, doing housecleaning and other mundane stuff.

Greg came over at about 11:30 so we went out to the garage so I could play "show & tell" with the Harley facelift project. He hadn't seen it since I tore it completely apart a few months ago.

We were sitting out there enjoying our beers and talking about stuff, when all of a sudden, BANG! I'm talking loud too. A small, white delivery truck had stopped and was just starting to turn into the street before backing into a driveway, when a beat up old Dodge van FLEW by and smacked him in his left front side. All this happened right in front of my unit and we had front row seats. The guy was going so fast when he hit that he blew parts and debris for about 40 or 50 feet down the road. The street in front of me here is only one block long, and it's a dead-end too, so to see someone going that fast down the road was just asking for trouble anyway.

The driver of the white delivery truck gets out and it was Chris, my next door neighbor! He was just about to back into his own driveway with the delivery truck that he borrowed from work. The guy comes walking back from the van (sitting with a now flattened right front tire). He's a Mexican that speaks very little English, has no driver's license, and doesn't really even know what insurance is. He called his boss on a cell phone and gave the phone to Chris where it was all explained. Greg went out with Chris' digital camera and took a bunch of pictures from all angles while all the phone stuff was going on.

The police showed up at about the same time as the guy's boss did, and evidently everyone involved hammered out some sort of a mutual deal whereby the Mexican guy didn't go to jail. Personally, I don't get it, but hey... If it makes everyone happy what the hell. The police left after a while, and the neighborhood returned to it's usual state of calm. Pretty exciting stuff to have happen right in front of you.

We sat out in the garage for a few hours, drinking beer and catching up on stuff. Talk got around to cell phones for some reason and he said he still didn't have one but really wasn't too interested in having one. I told him, "Boy have I got a deal for you." I explained the prepay system I'm on and gave him Sarah's old cell phone--Completely charged--With box, manuals and all. He thought that was a pretty good setup and was happy.

He drove us up to R and R Cycles where I planned to buy a kit to rebuild the Harley's carburetor. Much to my dismay, when we got there they were closed for the whole 3-day weekend. Had I known that was going to happen I would have swung by and bought it on Friday. Oh well. On the way home Greg drove us to Applebee's and treated me to dinner. I guess it was payment for the phone and a few other things I gave him.

It's looking pretty dreary today, but hey... A day off is a day off, right?

No comments: