Friday, October 06, 2006

As the Week Rolls to a Close...


It's funny how fast some weeks go and others seem to drag on forever, isn't it? Although, I shouldn't speak too soon--I've still got to get through today's workday yet. This week at work went by very strangely--Almost robotic at times. I had no hiccups, no burps, no problems with the press of any kind. Underneath and behind the press there is a slow-moving conveyor that carries scrap bits away from the press and deposits them into a big scrap bin. I sometimes find myself standing there staring at it... Staring... Zoning off... Thinking about things... Maybe I'm somewhat mesmerized by the slow moving belt and the rhythmic thumping of the press both. It is possible to get into a "zone" back there in the back of the building with nobody bothering you.

One thing I try to never do is to go to work and say to someone, "Only 2 more days 'til Friday" or something similar. Why? The way I figure it, the end of my life will arrive soon enough as it is, and I'll look at myself and wonder what the hell I did with it, and wonder why it went so quickly. Nope... Even the shitty days count for something. No matter how bad a day is, something good happened during the course of it. The hard part is noticing that "something" and appreciating it. It could be something as insignificant as a smile from a coworker or a good song on the radio, but it's there.

Rhon received good news yesterday: The apartment (duplex actually) she found for rent a couple weeks ago has been granted to her! That's very cool. Now she won't have to climb the seemingly endless steps that lead from her porch to her apartment in the Munster's mansion. It's not that big of a deal except for those times when someones cell phone sets off your doorbell, or someones kid rings your doorbell... And you wander all the way down there just to find out it was a false alarm. (Easy there Rhon--Take your hands off her neck...) Her new place is about an equal distance from her job (only about 8 blocks) but is the other direction, so she won't even have to alter her drive times to work. Now she will have a garage (with a washer and dryer hookup!) and no steps to deal with. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for a stair stepper for her at a garage sale... heh heh. Although it will be a lot of work helping her move her stuff down all those stairs, it will be exciting. She is totally pumped, and rightly so. The change will be a good thing. It's getting pretty old practically living in the attic of a drafty old house and having to go literally all the way to a dirt floor basement to wash your clothes. She has put up with it for a long time, but its low rent saw her through her through the difficult transition she made from being a broke divorcee to independent single woman. She said she will miss the views from up there, but it seems like mostly rooftops to me...

There's a big automotive swap meet happening in Monroe this weekend on both days, but I don't think I feel like going. I want to get out and pick up some free used cedar roof shingles I found on Craigslist, and I'd like to get out and about and try to find a deal on a washer and dryer for Rhon, also using Craigslist. Hey, what are friends for, right?

No comments: