Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The Nice Guy


When I was married, there was a little thing that would sometimes get me into minor trouble: Helping people.

No, not the act of helping people in general, it was the fact that I could seldom say no. It was almost always at the expense of my own life or workload. For example, someone might ask me to help them with something, and at home I would hear, "How come you have time to help them but you don't fix the stuff around here that needs fixing?" or something similar.

That's just me.

So it should come as no surprise that I still help Teresa on occasion. Like yesterday for example: I changed the oil in her car for her. No biggie to me, and it only took about 15 minutes, so why not?

I still crack up when I remember what my buddy Steve said to me when he and I were talking one day. Talk got around to what I had been doing lately, and I told him I had washed her car the day before:

"You didn't read the divorce handbook did you?"

1 comment:

Rhon said...

Nice guys don't finish last. They make the world a better place. I know that I have my share of not-so-nice relationship dealings with my ex. I would prefer he not hate me, but you can't make someone into a pleasant person. Keep on being you, its a great example for Sarah and those around you.