Friday, October 27, 2006

The Weekend is Here!


I have had a good week, but still... I like the weekends regardless. Who wouldn't?

There's something about stripping off the work clothes on a Friday evening that feels different. I guess it's the same phenomenon I notice when it's bedtime on Friday night and I don't have to set the alarm. They're both the same, and they translate into a good feeling.

Friday is also payday every week for me, but because I don't live paycheck to paycheck like so many Americans do, it's not as big of a thing for me. I don't hold my breath all week, hoping to skate by on a bill or two without it going delinquent. Honestly, I can't imagine living that way, but many people do. I would very much prefer to have my paycheck directly deposited in my bank, but they don't do that where I work. Although I don't like to go to the bank, I always go in and never go to the window. I bank at a very personable smallish bank, and really enjoy getting the short opportunity to spread a little cheer to the ladies inside. Most folks go to the drive up windows these days. Not me. It only takes a couple extra minutes to go inside and put a smile on them face-to-face.

This week at work as been a low-key good time. I've spent time between the normal duties and other, more fun things. Take today for example--I spent all day adapting a part from a derelict press to fit and be used on an often-used piece of equipment that definitely needed the upgrade. It involved lathe work and drilling and machining to make the "wrong" parts work on the other machine. When all was completed (conveniently at quitting time) it was a well done project, and one that should have been done many months ago. Because it sometimes directly affects me I'm glad it was done, and more importantly, done right. I hate it when something is done just to "get by."

I picked up Sarah from school and after taking her home, I asked her if she'd like to go over to my folks' place and visit my great uncle Al who's in town visiting, so we went over there and hung out for an hour or so. I hadn't seen him for over 25 years, and I must say he's looking very good. Having spent most of his life in New Jersey, he's been retired and living in Florida for a number of years now. As usual, my dad rode his emotional roller coaster while I was there. I swear, it takes nothing to offend him these days, and because there is no rhyme or reason to what it's going to be, you just can't worry about it. I feel kinda sorry for Al though, because my dad's idea of eating out at a nice place is going to the Country Buffet. I'm dead serious. We'll both go back over on Sunday for the family get-together. It should be fun.

As soon as I got home I fired up the wood stove. I'm getting into it. I like free heat! While it's not exactly cold out right now, I know it will be more comfortable in the house as the evening wears on, so I figured I'd just get a jump on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Missing my wood stove as the temps are dropping here in CT. Maybe I'll have one again, some day.

Good to hear you are figuring it all out!