Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Meeting the Teachers


I went to Sarah's school open house last night. You know what that reminds me of? One time I saw a thing on TV about "speed dating." They sit and talk until the buzzer goes off then change tables and do it again over and over. It almost has a lab rat quality to it when you think about it. The bell would ring, and intercom would come on, "Thanks for playing our silly little game. We don't care if you were done talking to your child's teachers or not... It's time for you to move, now MOVE!"

Every year there is always (so far there seems to been anyway) one stand-out teacher that shows an almost inordinate amount of passion for their subject. I think last year it was her ceramics teacher. This year seems to be her AP History teacher. He's clearly almost obsessed with history, and also struck me as a pretty entertaining guy to learn from as well.

Teresa was already in the first class when I got there, and we ended up going from class to class together just like old times. As usual I saw a bunch of people I know as well, and they probably thought to themselves, "Hey, I thought they were divorced?"

She told me she wasn't too keen on how Sarah has been doing homework-wise. It's pretty much always the same thing every year. Neither Teresa nor I ever saw a lot of homework being done, but yet it always got done. She always got A's (or at least high B's). I don't see a problem at this time, but she wondered if maybe I shouldn't be taking her to my house every day after picking her up to see that she gets her homework done. Like me, Sarah likes her "connectivity." She likes her email, her chat, her cell phone, etc. Add to that the fact that she's interested in boys and it makes for a pretty full plate. Maybe she should start coming home with me for study time. Teresa has been working every day for a while now, so nobody is home when Sarah gets home. She probably could use a little extra direction.

I stopped by the pharmacy to renew my prescription after getting home from work, and wasn't sure quite what to expect. For the last year, my insurance has only allowed a 30-day supply at a time on prescriptions, and that means a $20 copay every month. It used to be I could get a 90-day supply at one time, effectively saving me $60. Last time I went in, someone got their signals crossed and gave me a 60-day supply and on the bottle was a note saying, "We owe you 30". I didn't see it until I got home and was pretty happy about it. The next day or two days later Teresa got a call from them asking for me. "He doesn't live here any more." I figured they were trying to collect from me so I never followed up on it. Yesterday when I went in, the gal sees me and says, "There you are, I've been trying to get hold of you!" I held up my empty bottle and pointed to the note on it. "Does it have anything to do with this?" I asked? Well it turns out that all they wanted to do was give me the 30 pills they "thought" they shorted me. Even now I may get away with a 90-day supply next time I go in as well. After all, the bottle says 90 days on it. Before it only said 30. You know how it is--With the computer age, once something gets started it usually automatically continues whether it's good or bad.

No comments: