Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I Feel a Little Like Complaining Today


But really... What good would that do? Oh hell, I'll do it anyway.

I'm one of those people that are "in tune" enough with their bodies that I can recognize teeny little signs of impending problems before they hit. It's a useless skill really. When you're going to get a cold, all that lets you do is say, "I'll have a cold tomorrow... I can tell." Sure enough. The night before last, right before bedtime, I had a teeny, tiny "feeling" in one side of my throat way in the back. Sure enough again, I awoke yesterday morning with a little more of it and some sniffles. Last night I felt wrung out and went to bed at 8pm instead of my usual 10pm. This morning I don't feel any better though, because even though I went to bed 2 hours early I only got the usual amount of sleep. Lots of waking and tossing and turning.

I don't know if it's the fact that I'm in very good health overall and take vitamins every day or what, but when I get sick, I never get hit hard with it. It always builds slowly and tapers off slowly. I'd actually rather get slammed with it and get it over sooner if I had the choice. The only advantage (or is it?) to the slow building sicknesses is that I don't ever seem to miss work. Sometimes I think I would like to miss work though. I just never have a good enough justification to myself to do so. I think I've missed one day of work in the last 5 years.

I've never had anyone pamper me, so that's not an issue either. I suppose it would be nice. Really though, the only time I really wish someone would pamper me are those few times in your life when you get totally slammed by a fever. When you're shaking cold and every part of your body aches. Those are a little tougher. Thinking back though, I don't know if I've ever been pampered when I was sick... Married or not. Maybe I'm just not enough of a whiner. Guys like to pretend we're tough, but we're really babies you know (don't tell any guys I said that).

It's cold in here this morning. Sure, I could turn the heat up, but by the time it's more comfortable in here it will be time to leave for work. ( <--- Whining ) It's baseboard heat you know. If it was forced air I would have already turned it on. This is an awkward time of year for heating around here. It seems like it's usually much colder than it has been. Lately it's been cold at night, but by the time I come home from work the sun is out and the house is warmed from it--Almost too warm. I'd kinda like to come home cold and build a fire and stare mesmerized into the flames while time passed all around me.

I guess that's all I have to complain about for now. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

1 comment:

Rhon said...

I am really sorry you aren't feeling up to snuff. If I was closer I would come baby you a bit. Such is life, I will keep you on my mind.
Rhon