Monday, October 23, 2006

Stuff


As I was standing there at the sink doing dishes, it occurred to me why I suddenly felt the urge to own some jammie bottoms. The wood stove. Huh? For some reason, it seems totally right be in lounge wear while I have a toasty fire in the wood stove.

Maybe I've read too many books.

I'm started to get the hang of this wood stove thing though. Little by little, I'll get to where I can fire that thing up and "dial it in" in no time. Tonight I ran it from 4 to 7, feeding it only one piece of wood at a time after getting it roaring initially. Now there are just dull red coals in the bottom and the whole house is toasty warm.

You know another good thing about doing dishes? It makes if awfully easy to trim fingernails when you're done. I used to use yellow gloves when washing dishes, but I haven't in a while now.

Yesterday I started the day by doing a bunch of laundry and going to get a haircut. Woo... Fun stuff. Afterwards, I blew the dust off the Harley and took it for a much-needed ride. I didn't go far--Only to Puyallup to Steve's house. I hadn't visited with him since our big ride to Anacortes a few weeks ago. Turns out he's been having medical trouble since then. Anyway, some people were there looking at it his Scion that he's selling, and while Steve was showing it, I was over talking with Maria, his wife. It turns out that he got carted off to the hospital in an ambulance one day a couple weeks back. She said she was scared shitless. He had all the signs of a heart attack: Pain, white face, sweating profusely--You name it. After testing, testing, and more testing, they finally found something. It turns out that he had a hernia in the middle of his ribcage and it's pushing on his internals there. They're thinking they may be able to take care of it with a camera-type minimally invasive procedure, but if not, they'll have to open him up. He'd better stay healthy dammit... The world can't afford to lose one of the funniest guys I have ever known. And he's "this" close to retiring from Boeing too.

No comments: