Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Sunday Morning Report


I hate it when I wake up with a headache. It's even worse when you have nothing to show for it (i.e. party the night before, etc). It's one of those "behind the eyeballs" headaches. I took an Excedrin--Hopefully that will take care of it.

I did end up riding the Harley to work Friday morning. I looked out that morning to drizzle, which wasn't a good sign, but after checking online to confirm that the weather was still expected to make a steady improvement throughout the day, I went for it. To my knowledge, it's the first time I've ever actually left on a bike ride with any form of rain actually happening. I must be getting well-seasoned. The ride was great even though I had to baby it somewhat. My rear tire isn't worth a shit and should have already been replaced. When you couple that with wet roads and lots of power--It can be fun or scary depending on your level or experience. In my case it was just fun. To put it in perspective: At one point I was running about 45 and hammered the gas hard to pass some traffic. The rear tire spun and the bike fishtailed slightly the whole time I was accelerating. It was cool!

When I got to work everyone thought I was nuts. A coworker came by my desk as I was getting my leathers off and said, "Oh you're the crazy one." One other Harley rider (who's a little goofy anyway) came up to me and the following exchange took place:
Him: "I was going to ride my bike in today, but it was raining at my house."
Me: "Yeah? So?"
Him: "It was raining at your house too?"
Me: "Yeah." (I said it like DUH!)
Him: "Oh."
At that point he turned and walked away, obviously losing that one. Just like I told everyone that morning, the weather turned nice and all their head-shaking that morning turned to jealousy that afternoon when it was quitting time and the sun was out. It was good to ride again. On the way home I stopped and got the new brake light switch I needed and installed that when I got home. It was an easy fix and it was only $14.

I took Sarah for pizza at Round Table for dinner to cap of the day. It was great pizza and a great visit.

Yesterday was slated to be a nice, sunny day. It started out foggy just like they said and turned to sun just like they said. I was going to take a bike ride, but opted to take the ignition switch out of my truck. It was no small undertaking because it was mounted up on top of the steering column, and that had to be dropped down to access it. Aren't any vehicle repairs easy any more? Jeez. Anyway, I bought a replacement for that as another step in finding why my truck refuses to start half the time. I only wanted to get the old one out to match it up with the new one. I may put it in today... Maybe not. At least I have it.

Early afternoon... Time for a ride. I had a destination in mind: My ex brother-in-law's house way out in the boonies between South Prairie and Wilkeson. He was married to my oldest sister for a number of years, and yesterday was his birthday. They divorced many years ago (not sure now how many, but quite a few) and I haven't seen him since. He is a great guy and I've been meaning to look him up for a long time. We still do the Christmas card thing, so I have their address (he remarried right after he was divorced). I looked it up on Google maps and wrote out directions. It was a beautiful ride, and I found his place relatively easy (only one wrong turn near his place) but as I expected, nobody was home. I thought that would be the case and really didn't care--I just wanted a destination. He and his wife are working on a cabin somewhere over near Ellensburg, and I suspected that with a nice weather weekend they would probably working on that. Anyway, now I know where they live and I can go visit any time I feel like it. They have a beautiful place! From there I swung over to the vacation place of one of my coworkers on Ohap Lake. He is there on weekends all the time off and on, but not this time. That was okay because I was enjoying the ride. Lots of fall leaves falling everywhere and plenty of sun. Back home I went, with a quick stop at my brother's house after I went by and saw him out front doing some work with his weed whacker.

It's supposed to be warmer today, but not as sunny. Debbie (my new biker friend from Federal Way) said something about coming down today on her bike, so maybe we can go for a ride. I guess her boyfriend is doing something today that she wasn't in on or whatever. At any rate, it will be good to see her again.

Hey what do you know... My headache is gone!

No comments: