Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Weekend Winds Down


It was a good one. Sure, I could have probably found any number of "Halloween" parties last night, but I chose not to go out. That was due partly to the fact that I ate a huge dinner of leftovers and was somewhat lethargic, and partly because I really didn't have any particular direction to go.

The reason I put the word Halloween in quotation marks is the fact that it's not Halloween yet--It's this coming Wednesday this year. My way of thinking is that if someone has a party celebrating any event that isn't actually on that day, it isn't really the event, and for that reason I put it in quotation marks.

It's just one of my quirks.

I spent much of yesterday out in the garage. I know, I know--I should have been out on the Harley on such a beautiful day. The truth is, it was very foggy in the morning and really didn't get all that beautiful here until about 1pm, so it's not like I missed much. I chose instead to open the garage door (see, I was still sorta enjoying the day!) and work on my truck's steering column that I have out on the bench. I managed to get it almost finished, so I can get it back in before too much longer.

Today however, I was on the Harley. Weather-wise, it was a much better day than yesterday was anyway, so it's just as well that I waited. Debbie called at about noon and asked if I wanted to go for a ride. Her timing was perfect, because at that time the day was looking its finest and I just needed a destination. No arm-twisting required. She is going to be filling in for someone this week at a different branch of her office for three days over in Silverdale, so that's where we went. I have to say that when it comes to that sort of thing--It's always nice to "case" the layout in advance so you know where you're going when it comes time for you to show up for work. Today was a perfect day for it too. Sure, the ride to Silverdale from here is mostly freeway and can be boring, but when possible we detoured a bit to break up the monotony.

Today was the first time I had ever seen the new Tacoma Narrows bridge that they just built too, and that was pretty cool. Okay, paying a toll (it was $3 for bikers) kinda sucks, but it's not like you can do anything about it. Anyway, it was a great ride. It's been a while since I rode with anyone else, so it's good practice keeping pace with them and stuff. It's kind of a "watching out for each other" thing when you ride with more than one bike. It helps keep you from doing erratic & irresponsible riding and it insures that you make more deliberate moves and signal plainly.

At least to me it does...

No comments: